Thread: holly ultra hp

Default holly ultra hp

have had some customers ask about this carb lately and i dont know much about them. They would go on a Modified on gas between 410 and 430ci on gas. I think both have 23* heads. Curious myself since the price tag is much more reasonable than what i personaly run now. are they worth a crap of the shelf for the average weekly racer. Seems that everyone uses it to base theirs off of are they really doing 900 dollars worth of work.

Consider qc issues with anything mass produced, one calibration can't work with everything, and if you buy from a builder you can talk to someone who knows something if you seem to have an issue.

The QC issue I had with mine was I couldn't get the jets out. They were in there so tight I broke a screwdriver getting them out. I ended up having to use vise-grips.

I can't afford a $1200 carb. If you are a middle of the pack car, and looking for something affordable that will be "decent" out of the box. Then this is your carb. If you are a middle of the pack car and looking for that extra some thing to get you in the top 5. Then you should get something from a builder.
    Crew Chief "Tip of the day":
    Most handling problems can be solved by adjusting the screw-ball. It can be difficult to fine tune at times. Explaining yourself loudly and striking it on top of the helmet with a dead blow hammer usually works well.

The ultra hp is an excellent carburetor. Will probably need a little tuning as they all usually do.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

for a out of the box carb with some tuneing you cant beat it

They have nice potential if they're put together right.. I thought that I was the only one with tight jets. A screwdriver wouldn't even get one of them out. The whole side of the jet broke off, and the tool of ignorance had to be used. All of them were WAY too tight. The emulsion bleeds were trashed and had brass hung up in them in the ones I have ordered in. The 950 has a decent calibration but has a 1.59 venturi so it's going to be big for most people. The 850 is more universal but you'll want to watch it real, real carefully and you'd better dyno it. A lot of people have ran into it. There is a mismatch there. They do look shiny and nice though, and would probably be great for cruising the hamburger joint or for a guy that just wants to get out there and race on a budget.
    Last edited by 50j; 03-31-2012 at 03:42 PM.

all carbs need to be tuned to motor,...a dyno is perfect place to tune, but dont mean it has to be dyno'd,..holley wanting to steal business from high end builders an this carb sposed to do it,..holley knows carbs well an has more R&D than any body,..really get down to it,..you can buy a holley an tune it,or buy big name carb an pay lot extra for a holley to come tuned, good luck figuring whats best for you...

I suppose it would depend on what your time and motor is worth. Just like helmets, use a $50 helmet for a $50 head.

Quote Originally Posted by 50j View Post
    I suppose it would depend on what your time and motor is worth. Just like helmets, use a $50 helmet for a $50 head.
    This is something I hear alot at the track. Usually said by someone spending $200,000 to race for $1,000 to win.

Some people live more that 4 hours away from anyone with a Dyno, so getting to one isn't easy. And not everyone has $1,200 to plop down on a carb. Comparing the Holley Ultra HP carb to a $50 helmet isn't even close to accurate. If OP said he found a carb in a junkyard laying in the dirt.......is it worth using instead of one from a builder; that is a more likely comparison.

The guys running in the top 3 every race have lost touch with reality. They think that every car in the field has an equal shot at winning, and they bested them all. When honestly about 5 or 6 cars have an honest shot. The rest are doing the best they can to compete, and gauge their performance/progress on how they finish compared to the big money teams.

I am a second year driver on a tight budget. The difference between a Holley Ultra HP and a built carb is parking the for 2 months. So I weigh my options. I choose 2 months worth of seat time with a decent carb.
    Most handling problems can be solved by adjusting the screw-ball. It can be difficult to fine tune at times. Explaining yourself loudly and striking it on top of the helmet with a dead blow hammer usually works well.

Good points, and they're a good fit for some. They do have nice features. How is the price kept down though? Is it magic, or is it because they are put together as fast as possible by minimum wage ooontlas with the wrong screwdrivers, no idea how far to tighten something, with no testing time and an acceptable return rate? It just depends on what you want. The OP asked for first hand experience and we have both bought them. You're happy, so that's good. I would spend the extra $250 or so for a carb from a builder but that's only an opinion.
    Last edited by 50j; 04-02-2012 at 09:15 AM.

So far so good. I had to upgrade. They changed the rule book and started allowing the new Ultra HP carb. The only 2 carbs allowed are the vacuum secondary 3310 and the Ultra HP. It's a no-brainer what carb to run.