Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Scaling problems!!! Help

Ok. I missed the first race tonight because I couldn't get the scales to come out right. I just got this car too. 04 bms mod. 4 bar. Springs are rf 750 of 650 or 175 rr 225. Lr shock in front spring behind rr is coil over in front. No matter what we did the rr was always heavier by at least 100 lbs. I just can not get any wedge in the car. We've gone over everything 10 times tonight and we can't find an issue. Nothing is touching or binding anywhere. We even went as far as pulling lower a arms to check jacking bolts and plates for a bind. Everything looks like it should. Measured the chassis and it is square(thought it may have been bent) I weigh 290lbs and thought I would have too much wedge but no. We put the car on 2 different scales and the same outcome. Someone told me you are supposed to pull the lr axle out to scale. I didn't do that but would it cause this headache? Any suggestions. I would like to go to a practice session on weds but want the car to be close on the scales. Thanks

Is the rearend squared in the car?

Lr is leading by a half inch.

Pull the axle. Also it maybe obvious but be sure leads are right. When I scaled mine last weekend I had similar problem and had the rf plugged in rr. Had them swapped. Was simple mistake that I scratched my head over for about an hour. Try pulling shocks too

What will a rr heavy car do? Would it be a little more tight? Thanks.

Clean out your inbox crate .

Sorry. Inbox is cleaned. Thanks

Put it back on the scales. Turn the RF weight jack down 3 turns, turn the LF weight jack up 3 turns, go to the LR and put 3 turns into it and take 3 turns off the RR. If that doesn't get you headed in the right direction, let me know.

With your body weight, you may want to put 90# in the seat and floorboard the first time you scale. Most chassis builders baselines are for a 200# driver. Some gie reduced percentages for other driver sizes.

How about posting your wheel weights?

I'll argue all day long, leave the shocks hooked up. You race with the shocks on the car, scale it with them. You will find a huge difference if you run gas shocks, too.

A bent shock will cause a problem like this. So will the rear springs rubbing on the birdcage or bars.

Good luck, send me a PM with any questions you may have.

SPark

The plutonium under the hood must be throwing the scales off........
    seriously though do the wheel weights change when you push down on the car?
    tire size and air pressure right?
    If you jack up under the center of the housing with a 100lb RR bite the left rear should come off the ground first

Lets start with the basics. Is this the first time you scaled this car? Are you scaling with or without the driver? Is it possible the other driver was a big fat dude and all the ballast is on the RR to counter the fat guy in the seat? And now you are a skinny guy and the right side is heavy. You can crank on wedge bolts all night long. If you want to move weight, you need to physically move weight.
    Crew Chief "Tip of the day":
    Most handling problems can be solved by adjusting the screw-ball. It can be difficult to fine tune at times. Explaining yourself loudly and striking it on top of the helmet with a dead blow hammer usually works well.

Joe: His post says he weighs 290 so he's definately not skinny. I had a similiar problem last scaling, started over by resetting the ride heights to builders specs. I then adjusted the screws except i put twice the rounds in the rear than i put in the front. Ride heights are right on and weights are as builder recommends. Doing it this way works for me. Agree with LM, put 90 lbs in seat before doing any measuring on car. Maybe just start over again. JMO

Lr wheel weight was 442 and rr was 648. Sorry don't remember the front weights. I'll have it back on the scales weds. I believe I found a bent shock. Waiting on the new one to come to rescale it. This is the first time I scaled it and I was in the car during the process. I'm going to start over from scratch. Thanks guys!

unhook your shocks also.if its on a pull bar unhook it also.

Unhook Pull bar?

??? Never heard of unhooking pull bar??

Quote Originally Posted by Racer111 View Post
    unhook your shocks also.if its on a pull bar unhook it also.
    Stop please. You are confusing alot of people. If you unhook the pullbar the driveshaft will either bottom out in trans or pull out and let the rearend fall forward until the j-bar heim binds up.

Original poster. when you say you did everything. I assume you are cranking on the weight jack bolts and the wedge is not changing?

Do you have any racing veterans in your area? I would have someone look over it.

Sounds like a shock is bent or maybe bottoming out? Birdcage binding? Driveshaft bottoming out? Look at LR shock/slider

I agree...I don't care if you have 100 lbs of RR static weight in the car...You should look around and see where your lead is located though....Once you start cranking down on the LR shock and RF shock you should start seeing the bite come up on the LR...period...We do not disconnect our shocks as some people say, as we are on the track with the shock connected to the car...All that aside, if you are cranking in more preload in the RF and LR and taking out preload on the RR and LF and you don't see anything changing, something is bent or bound up..

Weight jacks do not put pre load on springs. Where did you come up with that?
    Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not.

Yes we were cranking jacking bolts and coil overs. We didn't change all 4 corners to keep all the ride height though. Going to try it tomorrow hopefully. there is no lead on the car at all. Im 200lbs over our minimum weig as it is. If I need a little to get the numbers right then I'll put some on. The driveshaft isnt bottoming out. Double checked that. Going to pull all shocks off tonight and check to make sure that they are straight.

I would put it on stands pull lf sus. all the way down and put it back on say thing on the rf. Put jack under the center of the rear end pull everything loose and ck. Make sure the drive shaft does not have the spines twisted and it sides in the transmission with ease.