Default Lift arm spring help

Im going to do the lift arm this year and I'm tossed up on spring selection. My chassis builder says use a 300# pound spring with a 4/7 shock and a 400# 6th bushing. Well now my buddy uses a 200# spring 3/3 shock and no 6th bushing and he wins everywhere he goes.now these seem like they are very different and although I want to believe my chassis builder I see my buddies way working.so I guess what I'm trying to ask is what does a softer spring do compared to a stiffer spring? Also if u can shed some light on both of these set ups and what u think is better.

Default lift bar

go down in the forum and look at the grt lift bar thread and I think you will find your answers, but if your friend is winning everything as you stated, I think I would be hanging on his shoulder

Many things come into play here. I would go with what your builder says, although it is probably a generic answer. What you are looking for is about four inches of travel. Spring it to get that travel and you will do well. Good luck!