Thread: Intake gaskets

Default Intake gaskets

I have a question. If you put an intake gasket on that is alittle smaller than ports, what kind of effect does it have on the performance of the engine. If any. SBC 377 Dart heads,Victor jr intake. Our engine builder does this and I don`t think it`s the right thing to do. Any suggestion or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

If your builder does this you need to re evaluate your current builder. It drastically effects what the air and fuel is doing in the ports.

I'm not an engine builder.. But I can say with a degree of certainty that this would be no different than intentionally putting a restricor plate between the carburetor and the spacer.. You would never consider doing that in a million years, right..? I've always been told by reputable engine builders that the intake, to cylinder head port alignment, as well as the gasket fit, was very critical to performance...I would definitley consider a different engine builder...

Both are correct. It would cause the fuel air mix to be off as the bump would knock fuel out of suspension in the air which can cause a lean condition and detonation.

ASCS has done this for years...If you don't run their spec head you have to run a specific intake gasket to make the port "smaller" to keep the HP in check. I would definitely be looking at another engine builder.....He just added a restrictor plate to your deal! LOL