Default valve seal clamps

406 ---brodix 18x heads w.td shaft rockers--i have found the small clamps that are on the valve seals on the magnetic drain plug the last 2 times we changed oil-they were beat up but mostly complete when we pulled them off the plug. any body had this problem--and is there a better seal setup for this problem. 200 laps on this eng. thanks in advance

Your retainers are probably hitting the seals at maximum lift.

Default perfconn

that must be the problem --what hurt would it do to leave the clamps off if it isnt puffing smoke on start up. thanks

The seal won't stay on the guide without the clamp.Longer valves is the solution but you probably don't want to hear it.Or you could use less rocker ratio.Neither way is a cheap solution but you have a common problem.
    Last edited by perfconn; 04-14-2012 at 12:47 PM.

You can leave the exhaust ones off if you wanted. I would fix the problem though. Sounds to me like an interference issue.

Default heads

Did you buy the heads complete??? If so, the green stripe .700 lift springs they come with only last about 200 laps, we always recommend an upgrade.TB

Default wow

thanks for the help guys--i guess i better bite the bullet and do some thing--- i thought maybe i could find a little shorter seal --if the retainer is hitting it-- that way i could change seals with out pulling heads

You never mentioned how much lift you have. May not be the retainer, maybe the inner spring rubbing, as I have seen this before. Most guys are using the metal clad seals, smaller diameter and seem to stay on very well. May also be something with harmonics or float just shacking the bands off.
    Josh K.

Josh is right, can that teflon junk and use a blue viton seal captured in a metal clad shell. It won't take care of bad retainer or spring to seal clearance problems but they are about 25% smaller in height and width in most cases.
    You can buy them in bulk from US seal and if you just need a couple I buy them 2500 at a time, and have a couple gallon jugs of every size from 6mm-3/8", you can find them on e-bay for about $25-30set. I sell them to local racers and engine builders for like $20 set or 10 sets for $175.

Default thanks guys

had to get car ready for the week end and only had the plastic ones with the snap ring ---then we got rained out both nites--- i am a little worried that i couldnt find any of the teflon part of the seal o well --it had to get pounded into very small bits to get through the valve springs---thanks for all the help -see everybody at tyler co for the bananza--