Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default hyd. vs soild heads?

i have ran my 2300 and like the performance i have but tried of being mid pack i have a heart shaped closed chamber head mill max. stock size valves and a .479 hyd. cam from racerwalsh. and it just doesnt seem to keep up. how much more would i gain going solid and more lift? or do i just need to get another hyd. cam?
    jared flower

What are your rules in regard to cam specs. Also are you geared correctly. You may need a tough more gear.

Default hyd. vs solid heads?

Quote Originally Posted by 14flower View Post
    i have ran my 2300 and like the performance i have but tried of being mid pack i have a heart shaped closed chamber head mill max. stock size valves and a .479 hyd. cam from racerwalsh. and it just doesnt seem to keep up. how much more would i gain going solid and more lift? or do i just need to get another hyd. cam?
    we'll depends on the size track u are running...and the rpms u are turning,,,and what gears and transmission,,u have,,,,but in my opinion,,,,solid is better,,,just as long as the rules let u run them.i've tried both and solid is better the downside is u have to check the adjust on them often.but racerwalsh cams the 450 solid lift cam is the biggest u can go with stock length valves.but u can check with esslinger racing,they have bigger cams that u can use with stock length valves,,but with there cams u have to cut or mill your lifter boss down for the esslinger lifters to work.but the racerwalsh cams offer drop in solid lifters for there cams,,but like i said,, a 450 solid cam is the biggest cam racerwalsh has to run with solid lifters.

a small 1/4 and big 1/4 mile. and i can do anything i want to a any cast iron head no aluminum and no porting bowl work allowed. and idk what best rpm to run a 2.3 with 5,2 rods? ive been turning 7700
    jared flower

a small 1/4 and big 1/4 mile. and i can do anything i want to a any cast iron head no aluminum and no porting bowl work allowed. and idk what best rpm to run a 2.3 with 5,2 rods? ive been turning 7700 and running the same gear as everyone else.
    jared flower

I have built a lot of engines for a lot of different people and the biggest complaint is I don't have enough power to run with the top dogs,even though their cars drive like a dump truck.Push your set up to the max first,then look for more HP.

ok but everyone im running against has 2.5 to 2.6s with .620 rollers so im lacking power just trying to figure how to spend my money i have to upgrade my eninge the best i can for as least as i can.
    jared flower

there's no real cheap way to go fast y

One of the problems that jumps out is trying to turn 7700rpms with a hydraulic cam. Those two numbers just don't jive. The motor might be spinning that high but it's certainly not making any power.

what rpms should i try to have then at then end of the striaght away? and that somehing else i was wondering what rpm max should i turn with that set and a 5.2 bottom end?
    jared flower

and dan not trying to be cheap about just trying to not change stuff i dont need to. and trying to learn y i have to do something to get what i want. and understand y i did it.
    jared flower

What Racer Walsh cam are you currently running?

there .479 lift hyd. cam
    jared flower

and old rob i have no cam rules can even run the volvo head if i wanted.
    jared flower

The .479 hyd listed has 230@.05 duration which is only going to make power to around 6000 rpms. maybe less. Above that it really stops pulling. Also the 112 lobe centers isn't doing you any favors on a 1/4 mile track.

The big question is how much to spend on your head. If the cam rule is wide open and the budget is there then a solid roller is going to make the most power but the price tag is steep.

Is the money there to convert the head to a solid lifter? If so something in the 245-250@.05 range and 106 lobe centers would be quite helpful.

ya i can go solid dont know if i could do roller unless i could find a cheap good used one. my buddy has the same bottom end and but he has a big valve heart shape d port head with a .527 lift cam from schinder that run realy well. and if the would nt coil bild my springs couldnt i just get one of those and do the solid swap on top that? or would hyd. roller be better.
    jared flower

called racerwalsh tech support thry said cam is good from 3500-7200 rpm and to 7500 with anti pump ups? would that be true? and what what about esslinger .468 lift hyd./solid cam my meachinest said that would be his pick for me if i dont change anything cause he said my head as it sits can only handle about .535 .540 lift max
    jared flower

Racer Walsh is full of it if they think a 230 duration cam will pull to 7500.

If you stay with a hydraulic cam and depending on how your head flows the 304H from Schnieder would be a decent choice. The Esslinger isn't too far off but I think the 260 duration it has might be too much for a 1/4 track unless you have a good amount of compression say at least 12:1.

Converting the head over to a solid would uncover a bit more power but it does require a bit of machine work.

only have 10:1 witch idk y with what i have but the 1/4 i run is wide high banked and fast sprint car times are almost hitting the high 9s. and what about the solid kits u dont have to mechine? the lift boss down?
    jared flower

Quote Originally Posted by 14flower View Post
    called racerwalsh tech support thry said cam is good from 3500-7200 rpm and to 7500 with anti pump ups? would that be true? and what what about esslinger .468 lift hyd./solid cam my meachinest said that would be his pick for me if i dont change anything cause he said my head as it sits can only handle about .535 .540 lift max
    If you go to the www.powerbyace.com site they have just a few solid cams that use stock length valves. One is 260 duration with .480 lift at lash. It can be taken out to .500 lift if your cam guy knows his stuff. Also look at thier cam setup tools, they help to get them accurate. The 260 cam with thier header usually needs a bigger muffler to pass noise limits. Email thier tech for more info.
    Regardess of cam choice set your cam up at max lift at lash. Thats what you're getting when running. Example: I vary lash up to approx .0015 on cylinders so as to get the same .479 lift (.480 rule) at all cylynders.