Default pinto vs fox body

i have a late modle pinto car handles good but weights 2350 with me in it and im only 155. would it be worth it to change over to a coil car? what benefits could i gain? from doing this.
    jared flower

The fox body will give you a little more adjustability, and hooks up real well when its set up correctly, the leaf spring car is more forgiving to changes in track condition as the night goes by. when i changed from the mustang II to my fox body it took some getting used to but overall a far better handling car and you have seen my car it hooks up real well. but it means building another car for you, if it were me i would try to make some improvements on what i had rather than building a new machine.
    Miller

ok. well i have played with the car for a year and changed springs and mest with tire sizes but i have yet to scale it but i handles like a dream and hooks up good just was wondering if i would be faster with a coil car. and is it better to play with the stock leaf pack or just get afcos or landrums?
    jared flower

in my opinion the after market leafs are better because they are rated and you can split the spring rate in the rear also
    Miller

what u mean split the rates?
    jared flower

Default Random thoughts

Split the rates means to run a different spring rate on one side of the car than the other, ie 175#/in LR, 125#/in RR

what is the minimum weight for your class?

What do you hope to gain? are you passing them in the corners and they pull you on the straights?
    Then Maybe you need more motor, or a different gear. Handles like a dream @ 1/2 sec slower than the fast guys is not handling well!

Not having scaled the car after over a year is not really making good use of your best available information. Handling really well is nearly flatfooting it all the way around.

Rear suspensions are comparable, but the fox strut geometry loses camber when you roll, and the lower you set the ride height, the worse it is.

What is your caster & camber L/R? Tire temps? Bump steer/Ackerman?

Work on handling, keep good records see what works/what doesn't

Handling is cheap, HP is big $$$,

Good luck!
    JerryM

i have no idea on any of that. the minium is 2050 after main. and no i can keep up wth the non strockers down the straights but the corner is what kills me. and i just want to have a good ctop 5 car if everything goes good.
    jared flower

Pinto, have to add ballast to make weight with driver. Biggest problem with Pinto is the front to rear weight bias.

ya i could see that. but it what seems to be my biggest problem is pushing on clay tracks and being loose on dirt ones.
    jared flower

Default Thes two quotes from the same thread seem a bit odd......

Quote Originally Posted by 14flower View Post
    ya i could see that. but it what seems to be my biggest problem is pushing on clay tracks and being loose on dirt ones.
    well i have played with the car for a year and changed springs and mest with tire sizes but i have yet to scale it but i handles like a dream and hooks up good
    JerryM

ya meaning befor i got the car worked out it pushed on clay but loose on dirt tracks.
    jared flower

Default SCALE that car!!!

Multiple times during the season.. Find out why it is doing what it is!! Buy an infrared temp sensor and use it every outing.. Even hotlaps.. RECORD, RECORD..And RECORD temps and track conditions. If you dont know what Im talking about, read Circle Track back issues, and chassis set ups and get what you can from it..If you dont understand, build a model, or use a go kart to understand a balanced setup.. You do need some horsepower..BUT you need to understand chassis basics...Dont kid yourself... You dont.... Continue down the path you are on and it will be along hard road and an expensive and fustrating learning curve... Listen to the guys that have been there for years..They arent going to lie to you... They want you to succeed!! Dont make excuses... Just do!! I took a couple years off to buy tools and save money...so I could get it right.. 2nd nite out.. Feature win..I would have uploaded the pic so you could see what your reward would look like but the photo uploader isnt working..