Default Goofy-ass question....

Has anyone ever tried (with any success) running an automatic transmission in a rwd ford? I have a mazda pickup that toasted the engine. By toasted, I mean they found a rod on the track. I am planning on rebadging it a Courier and putting a 2300 in it. I like doing things a little different (and easier too), and had the wild idea to put an automatic in it. Has anyone ever done this? Which automatic trannys work better than others? The rear end gear is a 3.86 (or 3.83?).

you can choose between the jatco(mazda), c3, c4, a4ld, 4r44e, 5r44e. all are heavier then the german 4 speed and probably heavier then the other manuals. the c3 is the lightest. the a4ld, 4r44/5r44 all use a lockup convertor. if you rig up a switch on the wheel where you could lock and unlock the convertor when wanted then you might find a little advantage. unlocked through the corner and part way down the straight and then locked for the rest of the straight and into the turn. would it be better then a lite flywheel and clutch assy? only one way to find out.

olin