Default Overheating problem?

New to modifieds motor is wanting to over heat any suggestions on what to do. I am running gas done broke one motor put the other one in and ran for 15 min. in garge and already up to 180

you will probably get 101 answers to your question: Can we assume you have a good carb and the jet size is correct for your motor? Next question to you is: did your first motor overheat and blow or did something else happen to it? If you cooked it... your whole cooling system "Package" has a problem somewhere....... radiator bad, pump running too fast, water not restricted enough, pulley sizes/ speeds not right, hoses collapsing, etc.....
    You have to be spot on ( or real close) with a lot of these variables when you run gas...
    IMHO
    180 in 15 min is not too bad sitting still in the shop.....that doesn't really indicate anything
    Last edited by johnny v; 04-18-2012 at 07:19 PM.

180 after 15 minutes is not cause for concern. You are not getting any air movement sitting still other than the fan. I would be comfortable with that. Other than that, what makes you think you have a heating problem? How hot did your other motor get? What broke on it? Give us a total run-down on your system.

SPark

On race gas, if we didn't tape off our radiator, sitting in the shop we would sit at 140-150* all day...we have to put cardboard in front of engine to get heat in the engine...Not sure about 180* with no load on engine with no thermostat...

we are the same as dave, unless we block off the atleast half the rad we only get to about 140* in the shop. here is our setup:

stewart stage 2 pump
    double pass afco rad
    good hoses (change every year atleast)
    1:1 pulleys with good belts (replace the belts yearly as well)
    18" 4 blade fan
    good fitting shroud
    no thermostat or restrictor

i think the shroud is one of the most overlooked piece of any cooling program. i know alot of guys just run theirs right against the radiator, but i like to keep mine back a few inches in case i have a fender bended. Cheaper to replace a shroud than a radiator.

another thing you can do to really help the car at speed is to put a flap of plastic below the rad that helps force some air up there.

Same as above but i would go with a triple pass rad and in some cases some restrictions make the engine run cooler.Also use water wetter and run the hoses to back side of intake.

Go to Stewarts water pumps page and follow his rules. If you can keep an 800+hp late model engine cool with a single pass radiator and good pump with the nose on the track and no holes a modified should be no issue.