Default Setting Valve Lash w solid cam on SBC

I backed off the springs last fall to relieve the tension. What's the proper way to set my lash now?

Depends on the cam. Mine is .020 exhaust and .018 intake cold. Set it withe a feeler gauge and a little bit of "feel" .
    Crew Chief "Tip of the day":
    Most handling problems can be solved by adjusting the screw-ball. It can be difficult to fine tune at times. Explaining yourself loudly and striking it on top of the helmet with a dead blow hammer usually works well.

Yep, I have the same spec. So what's the procedure to get to that spec.?

You have pull your spark plugs and start with #1 cylinder on the firing stroke (not intake or exhaust) i use a piece of wire and a remote starter button and use it to feel the piston come to the top of the stroke then set both intake and exhaust valves then lock them down. Then move on to the next cylinder ready to fire and repeat process till i have all done 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2 this is how i have done it for yrs. Also is your setting hot or cold most cam cards list both.

The preferred method is to set the Intake valve when the exhaust valve is OPENING (go about 1/2 way OPEN). Then set the Exhaust valve when the intake valve is CLOSING, again go about 1/2 way CLOSED.
    Josh K.

Default Yepp

This is the way we do it. works good alsts a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by fast_crew View Post
    The preferred method is to set the Intake valve when the exhaust valve is OPENING (go about 1/2 way OPEN). Then set the Exhaust valve when the intake valve is CLOSING, again go about 1/2 way CLOSED.

Something i know i have never got right is how tight is the gauge supposed to be once its set? And everyone says different and havent had a chance to see it done right never a builder or someone that really "knows"...
    »»*†HÀ†§ HÓ††™««

We have always done it per our engine builders suggestion, Bill H, you set the intake when the exhaust just cracks open and set the exhaust when the intake as gone past full open and is about 2/3 closing...So set all the intakes or exhausts and then the other...the least amount of turning the engine over..LOL

Quote Originally Posted by DANNY View Post
    Something i know i have never got right is how tight is the gauge supposed to be once its set? And everyone says different and havent had a chance to see it done right never a builder or someone that really "knows"...
    should be a slight drag on feeler gauge,..not to hard not to tight,..but just right...

I slid the feeler gauge sideways accross the tip of the rocker it makes it less likely to stick the end of the feeler gauge into the roll of the rocker. I also use go-no gauges for thous of you that don't know what a go-no gauges is it's a feeler gauge that has been ground on the end with a smaller number setting. you can get them in 014/016 016/018 018/020 022/024 and so on

Where would someone be able to find aforementioned go-no go gauges?

If i was getting a "chattering" sound could that be from tight lash i had some that were pretty tight? I know loose would chatter but in this case i didnt find any that were more then .002 off...
    »»*†HÀ†§ HÓ††™««

Danny, if you are checking them hot, a couple of thou is not a big deal and shouldn't be giving you any weird sounds.... .018.. .020 not going to hear a difference...

I have always checked and set cold... Was always good to go, for some reason i hear a faint ticking (or chattering) could just be me but its makin me crazy...
    »»*†HÀ†§ HÓ††™««

You should hear some noise...To me they sound like a nice running sewing machine clicking away!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by sj valley dave View Post
    You should hear some noise...To me they sound like a nice running sewing machine clicking away!! LOL
    Rofl! Ok good enough Ill keep an eye on it and run it... We have practice this sat will see what happens then

THANKS!
    »»*†HÀ†§ HÓ††™««

Thanks, Amick!

I have maroso cross overs. Love em. Never had any problems with oil blowing out. Only way to go. Sell the ones you have and get cross overs. Screw the Mickey mouse crap. I wouldn't ever put steel wool any where near my race engine.