Thread: Heads

Default Heads

What heads are better out of these 3998993, 333882, 3782461, or world products s/r 1-052. This would be for a super street motor

I'm not sure of your rules but stay away from the 882s! The 993 works well with lower compression. The 461 is good for higher with its much smaller chamber. The S/R have a lot of room for improvement like porting and are machined for studs and so on. Most likely your will be better off with the S/Rs.

882's will work fine, but I'd prefer the 461's or S/R's.
    Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not.

882 is thin cast, could be trouble if you over heat it. 993 i cant remember on the casting. 461/ 462 are solid and have a better chance of holding up to heat. SR are the best, thicker in all areas. OE heads, I use the 487x heads. SR will be cheaper to start with, unless you find a used OE set that someone already spent the money.

I think StockCarDriver had some for sale?????

487, 461, 993, depends on what you're trying to do and the chamber you need.

IMO,
    461 is the choice no matter what the compression rules are. I would rather run a dish piston of 10cc to reduce compression than run a flat-top with a smog head.

X heads are the better choice but not readily available. I have a couple pallets of them that I sell to NHRA guys as they pay the best for them, not too many out there that have not been butchered up.

The SR head is ok, it is about 5# heavier than stock stuff and most of it is in the deck, seats are good and it will be pretty close in power but I think the old 461 will give it a run for HP on the top end.

You have to know that most 461's will require about $500 in machine work to get to the starting point of the SR ( rocker studs, hard seats and nice valve job ).

Money wise you will save on the SR's unless you have the 461's on hand. If they are virgin sell them for $500 and put the money on the SRs and go racing.