Default oil coming from valve cover breathers

I am new to this forum but I have been getting information from here for a few years now.Now my question is i got an 406 13-1 compression and when we pull of of track the headers r full of oil and the valve cover breathers r full of oil and so is the valve cover.My question is what would cause this and how to fix it. Thanks in advance

Do you mean the outside of the header tubes are covered in oil or inside the tubes?

You may have some broken rings.

the outside of the header has oil on it from the breather blowing oil out of it.The motor is brand new i dont know why a ring would be broke but i hope notanything can happen i guess.

Does the breather have a baffle under it? I know it's a stupid question. But I seen a guy rip his out before because it took to long to fill with oil. Yup....that's what he said.
    Crew Chief "Tip of the day":
    Most handling problems can be solved by adjusting the screw-ball. It can be difficult to fine tune at times. Explaining yourself loudly and striking it on top of the helmet with a dead blow hammer usually works well.

joe, i had the same thing be told to me one time. i as well as alot of others was sick of being covered in oil and smoked out when we lapped him so i made him pull the valve covers off and i stuck a screwdriver down in there and bent the baffels back up.

on a side note, back when i raced stock cars, best motor we ever had always pushed oil out the breathers. we went and bought some go cart air filter foam, cut it in half and slid it over the breathers, keep most of the oil in. had to clean them about every weekend or two was the only crappy part. ran the motor for 2 years and never had a problem. we tore it down after the two years and there didnt seem to be any noticeable problems like broken rings or anything. here is the link to what we used over the breathers

http://www.amazon.com/25-2587-Kawasa.../dp/B000E5W9DW

Yeah joe that was the first thing I checked closed them a little bit but didn't help. Rubbin I hope it is just that I am going to check compression tonight and go from there. Thanks

I installed an oil deflector that bolts to rocker studs. Kept all the oil where it belonged.

Default got a cheap fix for you

We had the same thing happen on a brand new motor. We tested it on a big track and had oil all over the left side of the motor. Called the engine builder. He assured me nothing was wrong. We took one of those plastic brillo pads for scrubbing dishes, cut it up and stuck a piece on top of each baffle in the valve cover under the breathers. It deflects the oil but still lets it breathe. We had to do that every time we went to the big long tracks. Never had the problem on tracks 1/4 or smaller. Motor ran perfect for 25 nights. When pulled down it probably could of went another 25, but that's the limit we set on our motors between freshen ups.

yeah found out the problem we now have two new piston ash trays and another boat anchor but what can u do!!!!!! We had rings melt to the piston and that goudge the heck out of the block.thats what happens when u put it together in an hurry pistons dont get put in the block very well. lesson learned!!!! Thanks everybody

I have maroso cross overs. Love em. Never had any problems with oil blowing out. Only way to go. Sell the ones you have and get cross overs. Screw the Mickey mouse crap. I wouldn't ever put steel wool any where near my race engine.

Quote Originally Posted by LowTechRacing View Post
    I have maroso cross overs. Love em. Never had any problems with oil blowing out. Only way to go. Sell the ones you have and get cross overs. Screw the Mickey mouse crap. I wouldn't ever put steel wool any where near my race engine.

I agree, BEST VC's EVER

I bought a set of the Morosos too and have been happy with them.

BP80,
    Proud to see a racer take credit for a mistake and not blame others. My question to you might help you resolve the matter cause I am not sure your piston installation could have caused melted piston/ring combination.

Was it the 2 middle pistons on either side???

What part of the piston installation do you think you made a mistake on. Did they all knock in the engine fine and then rotate around fine when you went to the next hole???

Many times what happens is lean conditions or pre-ignnition can burn the top of the piston looking like it was hit with a blow torch. If it not that bad there can be discoloration by where the spark plug is in relation to the top of the piston.

Even if you broke a ring and caused blow by it would not result in welding the ring and piston.

I am not doubting you found the problem of oil blowing out of your engine but the cause of it...

Quote Originally Posted by bigperm80 View Post
    I am new to this forum but I have been getting information from here for a few years now.Now my question is i got an 406 13-1 compression and when we pull of of track the headers r full of oil and the valve cover breathers r full of oil and so is the valve cover.My question is what would cause this and how to fix it. Thanks in advance
    I had the same problem with a flattop motor we run now, i bought some copper dish scrub pads from the grocery store and stuck them in the breather tubes and it aint blowed any oil yet. I tried the sponge's like in a lawn mower but they sucked up the oil and blew it out also. i went with something cheap and easy and was working my way up to the oil deflectors, but i didnt need to go that far as of yet.

Dynoman you were right the two pistons that melted the rings to the piston were side by side,found out that the ring gap was not big enough for a race motor with keith black pistons.At least thats what are local motor builder said.He said that the top ring gap should be 30 thousandths not 16 thousands like keith black said because of heat issues with the metal in the pistons expanding to much.Thats what the engine builder said.The other thing with the scaring on the cylinder wall was are problem we had a couple of rings stuck in between the piston and wall but we had a heck of a time installing them with a junk ring compressor but now we have a solid aluminum one and that works real well.We just got in a hurry installing the pistons the first time but now know better.thinks everybody for your comments