Default Fuel pressure issues

Last week I had what I thought was a faulty fuel gauge which said 2.75 psi. Car ran awesome other than a very hard start for the main. I bought a new gauge for this week and it was actually 2.75 so I bumped it up to 6.25 and this week as the main went on I started loosing power and it was shooting about a 6" flame from the headers. Is is possible I have too much pressure now pushing past the seats after it heats up or do I have another problem. Its a pump gas 10:1 355 with a 650 Holley.

I just got back from the shop and it will barely start now and won't stay running. Still has 6lb of fp so is it possible it's a ignition or timing issue. If the timing jumps will it show up when I check the timing on the balancer?

Could be that the carb needs a rebuild or adjusted. Try a good carb that you know works.

The shop problem can be t-shooted by looking in the carb while its running. If there is fuel coming out the booster, you have a fuel level/ pressure problem. 6.5 is where you need to be on pressure. Try to correct the problem in the shop. Pull the sight plugs and verify the fuel level.
    On the timing verify the total advance that you normally run. The light should be steady flashing no gaps, and stay on your number. There was a loose rotor on this forum and I just corrected one at my track. Another one to check is the advance weights/ pins/ and springs.
    Good luck.....

Just got back from the shop and found my dizzy came loose and moved. This is the 2nd time this has happen and I made sure it was tight before the main. Im thinking maybe my bolt is just long enough to bottom out in the hole before it's actually tight enough. I could not turn it by hand but now it's finger loose.

That is why we always used a stud kit with locktite and locknuts.
    Last edited by Egoracing; 05-13-2012 at 09:19 PM.

I will have one this week for sure. Thanks. Do use the green loctite on the stud?

Blue loctite, stud, lock washer and tighten it down and it won't loosen again...

Also a stock type dist hold down can flatten out and not have much if any clamping force.. but often its too long of bolt or botted out on oil pump like mentioned above.