Default Cam pulley Question

OK, helping someone with a pure stock, Ford 2300. By the rules we are not allowed to use adjustable cam pully's of any kind. But are allowed to cut head to get 9.5/1 compression. HAs anyone had any luck setting the cam timing without the dowel on the cam? Planning of using the loctite stud and bearing mount on it. Never been in the position where I was not allowed a adjustable pulley before. Very mild HYD. cam and not really heavy valve springs no I dont think the forces on ramp up and down will be that bad.. Any one done this..

Default Offset dowel

Make yourself an offset dowel.I used a 1/4" bolt and ground the head down from 7/16 hex to 1/4 rectangle offset 1/8".

The stock 2300 comes at 9.0 to 1 compression.Just installing a .027 cometic head gasket will get you very close to 9.5.Using the stock gear in the stock location should not effect cam timing enough to cause any loss in HP.

Just take a sawzall and slot the cam gear wider. Very easy to do. I use to degree the cam and see how much I needed. I cut and install the piece on other side. Done right you never know without a very close look.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

By the whistler it came up 8.72/1 I should be able to take .029 off. I will need to go back to the rules again but I dont think there allowed to use the metal head gaskets either. I have got away with using the .020 copper spacer one time before for one night.

We ran across a dyno sheet for one of the other 2.3's and he was 142HP @ 6200 rpm so I'm not really sure I will be able to play fully in the rules with what we are allowed I cant see more than 120 on a good day. They have looked for modifications to the pulleys last year. Already told him I will not cheat.

On the good side even with the small amount cut off the head with the small lift if it does move I wont hit valves...

Another option is to flip the gear around. Gives a few more degrees without having to modify any pins or slots.

Have also used offset crank keys. Just remember that the crank turns twice for one cam revolution.

Didn't know you couldn't modify gear. I'd be moving the pin hole in the cam or the offset key like Rob said if allowed.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?

I may be wrong but I thought that when you cut the head you retarded the cam timing. Is that not what you want with a stock cam? It moves the peak power point to a higher RPM. I cut my head .060 and did not change the cam gear and i am using a stock cam. Running the cam retarded the thing pulls good to 6000 rpm.

Stock replaceent cast pistons so 6K is my safe limit and a Holley 350 cfm carb is what I am running.

Let me jump in here. My nephews engine is cut almost to the bolt holes on the intake. I have a fel-pro 1035 head gasket with a solid cam 510 lift. running on a 3/8 track, will I need to do more than just flip the cam gear since it will peak HP later down the track. They cant use adjustable gears in this class. Why the rules guys dont understand this simple adjustment is beyound me. They let us cut for compression and run a solid flat tappet but not the gear. Go figure. But I will not cheat. Need a good answer on this one. Than ks.
    dr6 motorsports

Hey DR6, if your rules are the same as ours : no adjustable cam timing of any kind. Without any adjustable gears pins ect.... Soon as you (surface) the head it adjusts the cam timing. The only way I have found to be legal with no adjustments is to flip the cam gear. Its not a perfect adjustment but it gets you closer to what you need to be.

I would broach a new slot in the stock gear to get the proper timing.Then weld the old slot closed.After some grinding and welding you will have a non adjustable stock gear,just as the rules require execpt your cam will be timed properly.Not cheating just reworking stock parts.

Thumbs up

the grey area LOL

every .040 milled off the head is 1 degree retarded.
    so for example .160 milled off would be 4 degrees retarded.
    reversing the gear gets you about 3 degree advance back so now you are 1 degree retarded
    each tooth is roughly 9 degrees,so at .160 off the head you have the following choices:

Cam gear normal-4 degrees retarded or 5 degrees advanced
    Cam gear reversed-1 degree retarded or 8 degrees advanced
    No matter how hard you try...you cant fix stupid!!!

If you build it right...it will turn left!!!

www.raceidaho.com

Have your new cam cut with desired advance built in.

Thanks for the help. I have 5 different gears here and founf about 2.5 degrees difference between them. I think that with these and flipping the pulleys around I should be able to get aout what I need. Thanks again...

so Eric, if I flip the stock gear on this head I got, being only one degree retarded, I should be ok on the 3/8 track, right? I am not there right now, I am here in ID. for a few months. They are not ready yet anyway to run. Still working on the chassis and body build. Just want to be sure they do not blow it up. this head is somewhere close to 150 shaved.
    Dan.
    dr6 motorsports