Thread: Need help!!

Default Need help!!

I just recently purchased a 406 that came out of a drag car. I put it in my late model running it on gas and it has a problem over heating. I've done everything I can think of and it still over heats. I have changed timing, radiator, distributers, radiator cap, I've checked all the spark plugs, I even tried making it to where it gets more air to the radiator, I've changed fans. Any suggestions?

Only a guess here, but a lot of drag motors (especially a 400 block) are "hard blocked" at least partially. Did your cooling system seem to hold less water than it did with your other motor?

Not sure about the cooling problems but be aware that drag motors are not built with durability in mind. We put circle track motors through many more pulls per night than drag motors and they are built accordingly from a component and tolerance standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt49 View Post
    Not sure about the cooling problems but be aware that drag motors are not built with durability in mind. We put circle track motors through many more pulls per night than drag motors and they are built accordingly from a component and tolerance standpoint.
    I agree, When we drag raced some of the motors we had were prof built and by the time we got to the end of the pass the engines were hitting 250 degrees. We were running electric fans and electric water pumps so it did not matter, you would just leave them on till the next round and spray the radiator with a lawn sprayer with water in it to assist cooling and plug in the battery charger.
    As for the durability, an oval track engine sees more duty cycles in one night than a drag engine will see in a complete season if they run every week with 100 cars in the class each night.

Also, The cam profile is completley wrong for oval track racing, we would leave the line at 5500 rpm and the engine was built to pull from 5500 to 7000 rpm. Below that RPM it wa a DOG, in an oval track car you are going to get run over coming to the green flag and just about the time you get 3/4 down the straight it is going to bust the back tires loose. I also hope it is not running alumnium rods as they will fail very shortly!!
    Last edited by Egoracing; 05-17-2012 at 09:30 AM.

i had a overheating problem w a 406 one time also. only that motor? it had brodix heads 23 degree but always ran 230 degrees. it was a purpose built circle track motor but always was hot. i changed radiators water pumps fans shrouds everything. still was 230. went to a double pass got worse. tried restrictors etc everything. i just kept a good cap on it would drain the water every week and put istilled water w 1/4 bottle red line water wetter every week in the summer.

sold that combo tho. if i were to do it again i would put #10 lines from water pump to side of the block where two exhausts are together motors i have now have that it has to help. also the chassis i was running i couldn fit anything but a 19 by 22 radiator in it when i swithced chassis now i have a 27.5 radiator so that could be a problem for you too.

also if its a stock block it prob has block filler in it if aftermarket or bowtie prob not but that could be it right there. and i never drilled any heads w the steam holes for racing use only had a problem that one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Living_Truth View Post
    In contrast to Ego, I believe the longevity of your valvetrain will be a bigger issue than when the power kicks in. Just my opinion though.
    You are right, and I agree 100% on the parts longevity, That is what I was refering to on the first part of the post about the amount of use the drag engine sees compaired to an oval track engine.

How much total ignition timing are you running ?
    How fast does it get hot, over 220?