Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lifter problems.

I have a friend that has been having Hyd. lifter problems. Breaking them to be exact. He has been using stock replacements from the auto parts. The cam is supposed to be 530 lift Hyd. cam. I have never heard of one that big but if it is, could he be coil binding the spring causing the lifter probs? Or is it just cheap lifters and he needs to go with better lifters. Something like what esslinger offers or is there something better?

Stock lifters should not break,something is not right.Coil bind,retainer hitting valve guide boss,bad guides,valves hitting pistons,too much spring pressure,cam timing not correct,lash not set properly.Pull the valve cover,turn the engine over with a wrench.Closely watch what is happening with the cam and valves,the problem should be easy to see.

The engine builder he uses doesn't do much 4 cylinder stuff so I am not sure he know what to look out for as far as our cams go. I think he may be to high on spring pressure. I will get the cover off tonight and see what I can find.

I have seen a lot of heads lately with way too much spring.Some of the big name mail order companys seem to be pushing springs with too large of dia. wire,especially in the roller heads.Probably cheaper to stock one size spring and sell it for all apps.110 - 115 lbs. closed pressure is the common average.

I talked to the guy this morning, he replaced 4 damaged lifters and he said the rockers and cam are wore. The head is going to another engine builder Monday. I'll let him in on the 110-115 spring pressure info. Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Milford Motorsports View Post
    I have seen a lot of heads lately with way too much spring.Some of the big name mail order companys seem to be pushing springs with too large of dia. wire,especially in the roller heads.Probably cheaper to stock one size spring and sell it for all apps.110 - 115 lbs. closed pressure is the common average.
    we run 120 but thats close ! this guy has lots of problems if cam and followers are worn!! geometry is not right on cam!

Default Valve train issues

0.035"-0.045" Clearance with lifter collapsed, adjust valve stem length to center contact pattern on wear pad .
    JerryM

Quote Originally Posted by crcltrakr View Post
    0.035"-0.045" Clearance with lifter collapsed, adjust valve stem length to center contact pattern on wear pad .
    better close it up tigher than that or you will through rocker off!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan32 View Post
    better close it up tigher than that or you will through rocker off!!
    i run .040 on all of our hydraulic cams...havent lost a follower yet and it has been over 10 years.
    No matter how hard you try...you cant fix stupid!!!

If you build it right...it will turn left!!!

www.raceidaho.com

Everything I have ever read has been .040

We've been having the same problem lately. We had 6 bad lifters last week while having a fuel pump issues which cut the rpms down to 7500 from the normal 8000. The engine builder is gonna stop by and look the head over were suspecting it's the lash is improperly set. Hopefully we can get this worked out soon.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by car62 View Post
    i run .040 on all of our hydraulic cams...havent lost a follower yet and it has been over 10 years.
    you turn 7500 we turn 9200 theres a slight diffrence!! gotta turn that down here to win!! 7500 is a grocery getter around here (: !!!! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_Guilds View Post
    Everything I have ever read has been .040
    thats what they say but you cant turn the rpms want hold up!!

i can only tell you all how to fix it cant make you 10 thousants with no oil in lifter and she will fly!!!

I run down here with you Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by faster12 View Post
    I run down here with you Dan.
    you know!!(:

Yup I here guys on here talking about how they turn in the low 7000s and idk what there doing different but we would get lapped turn those rpms.

Quote Originally Posted by faster12 View Post
    Yup I here guys on here talking about how they turn in the low 7000s and idk what there doing different but we would get lapped turn those rpms.
    thank you for that statement lets the couple of haters on here know that what i say is only the truth!! i have no reason to lie i get nothing for this help just like helping guys that race be as good as they can! 12 pm me i might have something you will like or call 678 878 9785!!

there is no way you are turning 9200 with hydraulic lifters.
    No matter how hard you try...you cant fix stupid!!!

If you build it right...it will turn left!!!

www.raceidaho.com

Quote Originally Posted by car62 View Post
    there is no way you are turning 9200 with hydraulic lifters.
    i did it every sat. night!!8900 to 9200 every week!! (: these folks down here know i dont stay and play!! I travel and play so people know me!!
    lots of tracks!