Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Bubba assaulted at Powell Memorial?

Rumors going around, after last weekends race, that Bubba was assaulted two different times Friday night by members of the Powell family.

Did anyone see it or have any facts to support the rumors?

Went both nights, in the stands and in the pits, didnt hear that rumour at all.
    21- The Professor *47 - The Tallahassee Terror *58 -The Magicman
    If they are in the race, Lets face it, the battle is for 2nd !
    Facebook page ,Florida Dirt Late Model Posse

I was there Fri night also.

The first one was posted on another thread and the story I was told today confirmed it.

Supposedly, the second one happened after the races Fri night at Bubbas hauler.

Not trying to cause trouble, just confirming what I was told.

Quote Originally Posted by drtrkr244 View Post
    I was there Fri night also.

The first one was posted on another thread and the story I was told today confirmed it.

Supposedly, the second one happened after the races Fri night at Bubbas hauler.

Not trying to cause trouble, just confirming what I was told.
    Would be interesting to find out the whole story.
    If the family wasnt happy with the 2 winner format, thats certainly their perogative,
    but the schedule has been out for a time, seems if that was it , it would have been
    addressed before friday rolled around.

Default Bubba, I hope this thread is all hocus/pocus!!!!!

I know this stuff happens,( Mike Head) beat the devil otta me @ senoia last season & I'm 70 yoa. After spendin' lots of time& money to be put back together, I think if anything even remotely like that happens to me ,

I think Ya'll best kill me or buy some cork's to fill the holes my buddy is gonna put in your body!!!! My sympathy To ya'll,Bubba & to your kin,Smokey

Quote Originally Posted by mf0521 View Post
    Would be interesting to find out the whole story.
    If the family wasnt happy with the 2 winner format, thats certainly their perogative,
    but the schedule has been out for a time, seems if that was it , it would have been
    addressed before friday rolled around.
    That is only one of the things that I think were at issue.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

That is the reason I carry Mister Ruger in my racecar.

For all of the people that think it is something new, There has been duel events in the Powel Memorial LONG before this past event. In 2003 James Powell himself won the second leg of the event.

One issue I was told pertained to the new bar Bubba had built.

Suppposedly, where it was built, once stood a playground for kids. It was named in honor of James Powell's kids that were killed.

If that is the case, that will really hurt the attendance at the track. The locals were very supportive of the Powell family.

bubba's side of story

"I would like to take this time to explain to you what happened Friday night at approx 1am in the Pits of BRP. This isnt my side of the story, its the truth witnessed by at least 10 other people, one of which is a retired dep sheriff.

At 1am as i was sitting in a fold out chair next to my 9 year old son and with my race crew after a long night of fighting the elements/very muddy track i was approached by a woman i did not know. She walked up to me and with a attitude asked whos bubba? i knowing she was upset about something and it was very very obvious that she was very drunk told her i was bubba. at this point she goes on to say she is james powells wife. and that im am a piece of (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) cause i ruined the powell name and race by making it a two day show, and i didnt call her husband back wednesday when he called me.

i calmly explained that we (the track) had a system in place to determine a overall winner of the two days and that two nights at 5000 to win each night was more racer friendly than one night of 10k to win. she wasnt having it and didnt want to hear it. i explained to her over the years most other owners would make the racers come in on friday and qualify and run heats and that my new format was better for the racers.

i then explained to her that im/my partner tom bean are at brp every sat night and that her husband needed to come see me months ago so we could make what ever changes he felt we needed to make. and that calling me 2days b4 the event wasnt very responsible. she continued to argue with me...after about 10 min of her screaming at me in front of my son telling me how i ruined her familys name i asked her to leave..

after repeated attempts to ask her to leave, she kept telling me shes not leaving, and i cant do (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word).....i then became upset and yelled at her, i said get the hell out of my pits...now.....Yes i am guilty of saying that to her...i can assure you this was after no less than 10-15 min of trying to reason with someone that was so drunk she could barley stand. again all this was witnessed by at least 10 people including a former sworn dep sheriff.
    at this point one of my female track employees asks her to leave and she does.

ten min later here comes james powell headed my way.. im still sitting in my chair next to my son..mr powell walks up to me while im sitting down and punches me in the face. he tells me this is for cussing at my wife.. this in front of my son. nice........

mr powell was obviously very drunk as well i then get up, grab mr powell and attempt to give him what he gave me, of which i think a few of my punches landed, at this point 2 of his drinking buddies jump on my back but cant get me to the ground, at this point my crew jumps in and gets them off of me and i tell mr powell he needs to leave.

mr powell then proceeds to tell me that he is camping in his bus in my parking lot and hes not going anywhere. i told him im not a tattle tale, and im not calling the marion co sheriff to have them arrested for hitting me if they just leave the property

at this point they leave. i didnt want to call the police and already make a bad situation worse...although perhaps now that i look back i should have cause it would have explained who did what and all you haters wouldnt have your bubba the love jerk smart ass comments. the sad thing of it all is this.
    1. my son had to witness this
    2. as they drove away ive been told they had their kids in the bus
    3. i never met mr/mrs powell but ive heard nothing but wonderful wonderful things about them and they were so so pro racer.. this situation no matter how you slice it is bad for their good/honorable name.

me/my partner tom bean/ and our race track will not tolerate this kind of drunken behavior while we are trying to honor your good family.
    i wish the powells nothing but the best and im ashamed for my part in this very embarrassing situation....mr/mrs powell would have never wanted these issues.....

from now on this time in june will be the florida late model state championship with 5000 to win for two nights. and the overall winner being awarded a championship type ring....congrats to this years winnner mark whitner im headed to old north east jewelers tomm to design marks ring and it will be awarded to him when its done.

please keep updated on 2day florida state championships races being scheduled right now for hobbys/open wheel/v8 thunders and limited late models at bubbaracewaypark.com

thank you to all for giving me a chance to tell you the truth"

Bubba Clem

Mr Clem You proved what kind of man you are by taking blame for your part of this fracas I'm sure your son will realize what kind of man you are one who say he's wrong if he is and a man who stands up when he's right Insofar as this family You were a whole lot more tolerant than most would be It's sad when people get intoxicated and do things they may not otherwise do Bottom line it's your track and you have the right to eun an event as you see fit and as you said a couple of days before an event is hardly enough time to change the format As you say you prob would have been better off to call Marion County as That would have saved you probs but as you say would create a new set It's very sad the allow their kids to see them in this conditition much less operating a motor vehicle I'm afraid this is where I would have drawn the Line Good Luck Mr Clem Hopefully on one of my fla trips I can visit your facility
    my daughter my sailor my hero the next greatest generation is our men and women now in harms way Pray for them

Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    Mr Clem You proved what kind of man you are by taking blame for your part of this fracas I'm sure your son will realize what kind of man you are one who say he's wrong if he is and a man who stands up when he's right Insofar as this family You were a whole lot more tolerant than most would be It's sad when people get intoxicated and do things they may not otherwise do Bottom line it's your track and you have the right to eun an event as you see fit and as you said a couple of days before an event is hardly enough time to change the format As you say you prob would have been better off to call Marion County as That would have saved you probs but as you say would create a new set It's very sad the allow their kids to see them in this conditition much less operating a motor vehicle I'm afraid this is where I would have drawn the Line Good Luck Mr Clem Hopefully on one of my fla trips I can visit your facility
    tracks nice,racey and fast if worked right, one of the races you need to attend would be the winter nationals during speedweeks best racin i seen there

Default It Looks As If The Powells Were Going To Let This Drop

I think that this was just a blip on everybody's radar up until now. By telling your side, now it is incumbent on us to hear the "other" side, if they so desire to tell it. There are two sides to every story and the truth will pretty much always lay in the middle somewhere. I'm anxious now to here what the Powells have to say. Tomorrow marks the anniversary of James Powell losing his twin daughters and his parents. This may or may not be an appropriate time for a response from them. I sure don't think it was very respectful to post this mess on here today.

your right there are 2 sides to every story, but if this race ment so much to the powells and if they were "drunk" then thats not good on their part, you can have a great time at a race track without having any drinks. im on noones side. bubba man up side his side, theres other sides. sucks that it happen and that theres no longer a memorial for the powell's thats the ones that got the raw end of the deal

Default I Am Still Waiting To Hear The Powell's Version Of Events

Looking at past history, most reasonable and prudent people will be able to make an informed decision as to who more credibility will be given.

Quote Originally Posted by dhall31794 View Post
    I think that this was just a blip on everybody's radar up until now. By telling your side, now it is incumbent on us to hear the "other" side, if they so desire to tell it. There are two sides to every story and the truth will pretty much always lay in the middle somewhere. I'm anxious now to here what the Powells have to say. Tomorrow marks the anniversary of James Powell losing his twin daughters and his parents. This may or may not be an appropriate time for a response from them. I sure don't think it was very respectful to post this mess on here today.
    Absolutely, I would like to hear their side also. I don't quite agree with the way they handled themselves Saturday morning. But then again I don't know how I would feel if someone demolished a dedicated memorial for my deceased children to build a bar, or if someone unwillingly changed a traditional memorial race that I had started to honor my deceased family members. Something doesn't quite jive just right, for the powells to be so opposed to a two day show I find it hard to believe they waited until Wednesday to confront Bubba about it. The sad part isn't that the kid seen his dad get into a scuffle at a racetrack, anybody that has been more than 1/2 a dozen times has witnessed a cussing or a punch or two thrown. Young or old. If u haven't, u haven't been going long enough to have an opinion on the matter. The real sad thing is the most prestigious memorial race in FL is no more!

Quote Originally Posted by dalexander19 View Post
    anybody that has been more than 1/2 a dozen times has witnessed a cussing or a punch or two thrown. Young or old. If u haven't, u haven't been going long enough to have an opinion on the matter.

Maybe you should try some different tracks. I haven't seen a good fight in years and I hit quite a few different tracks here in the midwest. I do have an opinion on the matter though. I'll side with a promoter over a drunk any day.
    8/13/16

Alot of unfortunate circumstances that night, as far as the playground, it is repaced with a large covered area,
    that does have a bar with some flat screens at one end , but it also has alot of tables and chairs, so this provides agood place to sit and eat,
    also a place to go to get out of the rain for a large number of people , which is very much needed some sat nights as happened last month when there was a couple hour rain delay.
    As far as the playground being dedicated to anyone, honestly dont know, took my grandaughter there a few times
    last year and i dont remember seeing a sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    Maybe you should try some different tracks. I haven't seen a good fight in years and I hit quite a few different tracks here in the midwest. I do have an opinion on the matter though. I'll side with a promoter over a drunk any day.
    Maybe u should get on YouTube and check out the one that happened at oclala between Bo Allen and Mark Whitener last year, or better yet come to this part of the country and witness one for ureself. As far as going to different tracks I've been to about 10 different ones and took in about 20 races this year and been going for the past 25 yrs so I've seen my fair share of tracks and pissed off competitors!
    Last edited by dalexander19; 06-06-2012 at 11:22 PM.