Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Glad to hear at least one side of the story.

Something still doesnt add up at BRP, though.

Ive been going every other week. The tracks been smooth and very racey. BRP pays NLMS type lm's $1750 to win.
    However, there has not been a full field all year.

Also, the number of fans is a lot less also.

Is it the economy, or is Bubbas personality too brazen for the locals? Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by drtrkr244 View Post
    Glad to hear at least one side of the story.

Something still doesnt add up at BRP, though.

Ive been going every other week. The tracks been smooth and very racey. BRP pays NLMS type lm's $1750 to win.
    However, there has not been a full field all year.

Also, the number of fans is a lot less also.

Is it the economy, or is Bubbas personality too brazen for the locals? Any ideas?
    there arent a full field anywhere now a days down this way, you be lucky if a track gets 15 lms on a reg sat night now, heck bubba pays more on a reg sat then any other track. theres to many tracks within driving reason to have a full field and im sure the economy is not everyones best friend right now either. the nlms events dont even draw a full field of cars yet, i think the most was 22 so far

heres the other side to the story

this was from Kimberly powell

Well, Bubba seems to have left out some of the details of the incidence that happened on Friday night at 1 am.
    I did walk up to Bubba with an attitude, that was very much deserved. Bubba is using the “Powell” name for his 2 day race show and NEVER contacted James Powell. James tried to to contact him 4-5 times with texts and left messages. But NO response. Billy, the track promoter, told James a few days before that Bubba said to him that he indeed got James’ messages and said “what does he want?” ......Well, let’s see Bubba, maybe he wanted to help promote the Powell memorial race or do any thing he could to help. In years past James has been on radio interviews, interviews for the Ocala Star Banner, etc.
    As for the comment of me being very, very drunk that is so far from the truth. Yes, I had a few drinks but by NO means drunk. And neither was James!
    Bubba NEVER was calm as he claims! And never tried to explain anything in a calm manor. He was his typical arrogant self. He was rude and yelling profanity....as he was sitting in his “fold out” chair, stuffing his mouth with a sub the entire time I was there. Total lack of respect.
    Not really sure why Bubba thought James “needed” to get in touch with him for the “POWELL” race. Seems to me Bubba should be contacting James to make sure everything is OK to go ahead with the race and still use the name.....for the deceased family members. But there again James did try numerous times! Bubba has NO idea what the race is about. He just knows it is a very big race in Florida and wanted to capitalize on it.
    Bubba YOU are the irresponsible one!! Way to go! You are using someone else’s last name so YOU can make $$$$$$ and cant return their call.
    Yes, I was there about 10 minutes. But in those 10 minutes Bubba told me to “get the F**K off my property, IN front of his own 9 year old son. Not only once did he say it but twice. Again, in front of his 9 year old son. Oh then he stated to me that he would “have the F****NG sheriff removed me from the property” AGAIN in front of his 9 year old son. I guess he thought that would intimidate me. Wrong.
    When James heard of the argument he went over to Bubba. James stuck his hand out as to shake his hand and said “I just want to congratulate you on being the biggest P. O. S.” At that point bubba grabbed James’ hand and pulled him into him. And the fight began.
    James told Bubba that were going to leave and to remove the “Powell” name from the race on Saturday. Bubba never got the chance to tell us to leave!
    Yes, Bubba, it was a very sad situation! Only a BIG thanks to you and your greedy self!
    Way to go Bubba on removing the playground that was yet another Memorial for both of James twin daughters killed in the crash!!! And what is there now.... a place to buy alcohol!! What a heart you have. Oh, that is right, I think you were the one that made the song up about Casey Anthony!! Having duck tape on her face. SICK individual!
    As for my kids being in my bus....Yes, they sure were. They are 5 years and 10 months and asleep....Just where they SHOULD be at 1 am in the morning!!! They were not alone just to let you know. I am a GOOD parent!
    And for Bubba talking about Buddy and Elizabeth Powell not wanting this...little does he know that they would have been right there with all of us. Defending the family name. Oh, and thank God, for Bubba’s sake JH Powell SR was not there. LOL

It only took Bubba 5 days to compose a letter. And that is only because he can’t handle the truth, nor the negative comments people were writing about him!

NOW, that is the WHOLE story. I was done with this whole situation but since Bubba wanted to post something I figured I needed to put in the few MINOR details he left out. Bubba wants to act as if he is such a nice person but he is NOT!!
    KARMA might be a small word but it has large repercussion!!! He will see it!

Quote Originally Posted by latemodel28d View Post
    there arent a full field anywhere now a days down this way, you be lucky if a track gets 15 lms on a reg sat night now, heck bubba pays more on a reg sat then any other track. theres to many tracks within driving reason to have a full field and im sure the economy is not everyones best friend right now either. the nlms events dont even draw a full field of cars yet, i think the most was 22 so far
    I agree!

But....... why wouldnt the lms want to race for the most CASH? ie, better track, better facility, or is it BUBBA?

BTW, Im glad to hear the other side of the story. Im sure both sides believe theirs is the truth! But I believe Bubba will pay the most price, due to his reputation, and the Powells good name in the community.

evidently you have nothing against alcohol as you admitting you were drinking so that' seems to be a null point imo
    my daughter my sailor my hero the next greatest generation is our men and women now in harms way Pray for them

Quote Originally Posted by Chico View Post
    evidently you have nothing against alcohol as you admitting you were drinking so that' seems to be a null point imo
    Also alcohol is not allowed in the pits at any track that I have seen. I worked in the club/bar industry for several years and I can only remember a few people that were drunk that would admit or even knew they were drunk. How many "Not drunk" drivers get arrested every year.

Looks like BRP won't be getting my money any time soon..
    Last edited by Rocky; 06-08-2012 at 01:23 PM.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

The problem is the gall dang motors.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Looks like BRP won't be getting my money any time soon..
    ppl thats boycotting a particular track or owner is only hurting the fans and racers in gerneral bc could end up as another track closing. plus thats just some great racing that you are gonna miss thats all. i try to hit all the big shows that are there(late model wise) all ready looking forward to the winter nationals. last year was the best racing period there.

Quote Originally Posted by latemodel28d View Post
    ppl thats boycotting a particular track or owner is only hurting the fans and racers in gerneral bc could end up as another track closing. plus thats just some great racing that you are gonna miss thats all. i try to hit all the big shows that are there(late model wise) all ready looking forward to the winter nationals. last year was the best racing period there.
    Me not going for speedweeks won't hurt the track, arrogant people running race tracks and changing MEMORIAL events up without consulting the family then going on the internet and callin' them alcoholics sure will though. Seriously if he would have started yellin' at my woman I'd have socked him too and I don't even care if she was drunk. For some reason I tend to believe the not famous person especially because Clem is famous for well bein' an @sshole on the radio.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Shovel on a little more coal, then when we cross white oak mountain, watch 97 roll!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Me not going for speedweeks won't hurt the track, arrogant people running race tracks and changing MEMORIAL events up without consulting the family then going on the internet and callin' them alcoholics sure will though. Seriously if he would have started yellin' at my woman I'd have socked him too and I don't even care if she was drunk. For some reason I tend to believe the not famous person especially because Clem is famous for well bein' an @sshole on the radio.
    THANK YOU! Glad to see I'm not the only one who has heard Bubba's radio show. For all those people out there that was concerned about the kid hearing a few cuss words I insist u give it a listen. He sure ain't the Fred Rogers he tried to portray himself as being in his FB post!

This whole thing has gotten pretty crazy. Who knows what exactly happened.
    I still dont really get what was so bad about changing the format, that was intended
    to draw hopefully more competetors and more fans.
    I , work nights and took off early that night to go, simply for the fact of having a late
    model feature night 1 as well.
    The other part that doesnt make sense is if the family was that upset about those changes,
    which is certainly their perogative,
    why would you wait till 1 am after night number 1 to address it with him ,with all the ways
    out there to get it out, if you cant by phone, such as facebook, websites like 4m or flagstand,
    or even the newspaper or even mail ,since the schedule has been out for some time, issues could have
    been addressed way in advance and not come to a head the night of the event.
    Im guessing both sides ,in hindsight, may have handled it differently.
    It is kind of funny tho to see how people respond to what happened and their opinion is strictly based on whether
    or not they like bubba or his show, particularly on FB.
    The whole thing was definately unfortunate for many reasons.
    Last edited by mf0521; 06-08-2012 at 08:35 PM.
    21- The Professor *47 - The Tallahassee Terror *58 -The Magicman
    If they are in the race, Lets face it, the battle is for 2nd !
    Facebook page ,Florida Dirt Late Model Posse

I don't listen to his show and don't intend to but if he's paying 3K or more, there's probably a 90% present chance of me being at the track. I remember the playground because my grandson played on it, I don't remember a sign saying it was there for the children of the tragety. If there was an agreement with the previous owner, that was with the previous owner. I wasn't there and don't who's telling the truth. We may have to call in Judge Judy.

This guy made it pretty clear what he was gonna do, which was whatever he wants, the day he decided to not only run on top of East Bay but did it with Walmart pricing. IT DOESN'T matter what was intended when you have a memorial race it HAS to be in accordance with the families wishes and it sounds like this dude decided to ask for forgiveness instead of asking for permission. But since he's a popular radio personality he can get a pass. I'm sorry but I have to raise the BS flag. And he can produce all the "credible eye witnesses" he wants and I still don't believe him. Celebrities ALWAYS get a pass in this country which is a thing that really frosts me about my beloved US of A. I'll still die for her but I know she has her faults.
    Guerilla Racing Junkies.

Well Eastbay deserved to be run on top of, for the watered down product they called racing the last three years that they spoon fed all the fans. If you've ever been to Florida that Walmart pricing as you call it used to be the price at East Bay. Every year they have raised the price and done less and less to make the track racey so they got exactly what they deserved this year. As far as the memorial race is concerned, a race track is a business and making the race a two day show with a feature each day is the better decision for a promotor to make money. This gives the family an entire weekend as a memorial instead of the qualifying Friday night and feature Saturday. Most fans do not attened the qualifying night so, unless the family is putting the money up for the race to be that format, I could care less how they think it should be run. You either have it or you don't, it's that simple.
    Last edited by FutureLegend; 06-09-2012 at 04:03 AM.

...but Rocky, he has a former retired, sworn, honorable, and respected pistol packing Deputy Sheriff on his side. That's gotta be worth something.
    8/13/16

In 2003 James Powel won the SECOND leg of the Powell Memorial race, This information is easy to find on line. I did not see the family all upset then and it was run as a multi race event. It is only NOW that they are all upset. Kinda makes you wonder why? If Bubba OR the Racetrack own the naming rights they can continue to call it the Powell Memorial and run it every other week if they wanted to and teh family can not do a thing about it.

Let's review the "so-called" facts. It's pretty clear the Powells were upset bout the race being a 2 day deal, and from Mrs. Powells posts sounds like James tried to contact Bubba numerous times to no avail. And we know that Bubba decided to have a 2 day show to benefit the racers, race 2 nites and get paid to do so. The first thing that should've happened is there should have been some communication between the 2 to resolve the problem. It could've been resolved any number of ways and still benefitted the track and gave the powells what they wanted. If u want to run 2 nites run the lower classes on Friday and have an open practice for the LM , then come back Saturday and run limiteds and have 1-75 lap 5,000 to win, 750 to start Powell memorial. With that kind of payout he probably would've drawn in a lot more cars and the drivers would of had a choice to come Friday or not. Idk what he paid out but between the 2 purses both nites he probably could've done this very easily. And as far as anybody having any right to the name or the event it would have to solely be James Powell himself, he started it and has been a part of it this whole time, so HELL yea he should've had some input on how it was organized.
    Last edited by dalexander19; 06-09-2012 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dalexander19 View Post
    And as far as anybody having any right to the name or the event it would have to solely be James Powell himself, he started it and has been a part of it this whole time, so HELL yea he should've had some input on how it was organized.
    If the track CR'd the name of the event, they own it. There are no legal rights to the event unless it was CR'd by either party.

Quote Originally Posted by Egoracing View Post
    If the track CR'd the name of the event, they own it. There are no legal rights to the event unless it was CR'd by either party.
    They changed the name Saturday so I would have to say the track doesn't own the rights to the Powell name for advertisement.

Sure seems as though there could have been a better way to handle the situation. Was Bubba MIA the whole night until 1a.m.? Just curious as to why he wasn't approached while everyone was sober. Something seems odd.