Default going from synthetic oil to regular?

I just bought a motor and the previous owner was using amsoil synthetic oil. Now my question is is it ok to switch to regular vr1 racing oil or will it hurt something?

thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Master X View Post
    I just bought a motor and the previous owner was using amsoil synthetic oil. Now my question is is it ok to switch to regular vr1 racing oil or will it hurt something?

thanks for the help!
    If you can buy the oil over the counter and it is not stated on the package it is NOT for on road use it is NOT a racing oil. With that siad, Why would you want to chance running a natural oil and hurting an engine and spend more money doing it? It has been proven over and over that you can run a good synthetic racing oil 3-4 or more times as long between oil changes as regular racing oils and you get better enging life and HP numbers.

been running vr1 for years with no problems!! and i do believe it is syn.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel1mcelroy View Post
    It does not have the addative package that a true racing oil has to prevent wear. They advertise a high zinc and Phos package but if it is sold for over the road veichles it is controlled by the EPA and the other addatives in the package are controlled. If you look on their web site they do have a race oil that is listed and NOT FOR ON ROAD USE and has better wear, anti foaming and higher flash that the OTR oils. It runs form $7-9 a qt depending where you find it.
    http://www.valvoline.com/products/co...ng-motor-oil/9

We used to use Rotella for break in oil and about 6=7 years ago a cam was damaged during break in, then another and a third, we also found high wear in other areas on a new engine. After talking with several people I learned that even Diesel oils had reduced additive packages and that they did not have the same anti wear properties anymore. About that same time is when all of the break in oils started hitting the market.
    Last edited by Egoracing; 06-07-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Ego is right.EPA regulations.Not showing any favoritism toward any oil brands but if it is approved for street use then it doesn't have the additives you need for a race engine especially flat tappets.

I get the vr1 off road oil for 4.99 a quart at my parts house.

Quote Originally Posted by LowTechRacing View Post
    I get the vr1 off road oil for 4.99 a quart at my parts house.
    Which one is it, the Specialty oil in the black bottle is the only one on there web site that is listed as off road.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel1mcelroy View Post
    VR1 is not synthetic.
    From the Valvoline website:

Is VR1 a conventional oil, a synthetic or a blend?
    Valvoline VR1 racing oil is a conventional, non-synthetic racing oil.

This is also on the Valvoline web site:

What are the benefits to using a racing oil versus a regular "street legal" oil?

The Valvoline VR1 Racing & "Not Street Legal" racing oils contain additional additives for increased horsepower and reduced friction on metal parts, provide extra wear protection for high compression/higher horsepower engines, and include fewer detergents than regular conventional motor oils.

Even a roller cam benefits from a good synthetic oil with lower temps, less friction=more power and less wear.