Thread: cams

Default cams

running a 1/4 mile track head is flowed and doesnt ever drop but starts to not pick up as much past .550 and im only running a 2.3 5.2 wanting to turn 7800 max head is soild. rollers are allowed in rules
    head is milled max pistons zeroed in block thin head gaskit. what kinda specs should i look for was tld the cam i have now is way wrong. for making power that high
    jared flower

7800 isnt really that much for solid rollers...do the stock rods have stock rod bolts or aftermarket?
    No matter how hard you try...you cant fix stupid!!!

If you build it right...it will turn left!!!

www.raceidaho.com

Call Schneider cams in San Diego, CA. Dave/Jerry/Kevin, over many years, have ground more cams for SOHC Ford race engines than anyone else on planet earth. Including rollers. And if you have some flow numbers for your head, that'll help them tremendously. Tell them the details of your intended engine use & they'll steer you in the best direction on a cam. The Schneider Web site also allows questions to Jerry & Kevin via e-mail. -Dave-

yes the rods have arp rod bolts and was told 5.2 rod motors dont make power after 8k and id just be wasting my motor going higher.
    jared flower

found a crane cam at summit and its a .608 and 264 duration and 108 lobe lift turns on at 3200 and off at 7500 has anyone ever tryed this cam.
    jared flower

.608 roller cam is a very good cam.Pulls strong at lower rpm's and still makes lots of power at top end.Just make sure your head is set up properly for a high lift cam.

jared, since you are only wanting to go to 7800 you could use a hyd but go with a solid now and save money for later if you decide to go a little more radical. you don't need a roller so save your money. remember you can't do any porting on the heads. do like 84dave said, call schneider cams. that's what is in the pinto and it pulls strong to 8000 if i want to. it's a hyd non roller.

olin

true but wont a roller preform better then a tappet. and i know its low rpms for a roller but dont see the need to turn a 5.2 rod motor any higher.
    jared flower

milford crane states the there power BAND IS FROM 3200 TO 7500 FROM USING IT WHAT HAVE U FOUND.
    jared flower

That cam will pull hard well into the 8000 range.Hardest pulling cam I have ever used in any of my engines.A lot of the racers around here use the 608 crane.Keep in mind top end performance is affected by the valve springs more than anything else.Make sure you use good springs,retainers,keepers,roller lash caps.I prefer the Crane 99884 spring or the lunati replacement,these are small wire springs and are much less prone to failure.I do recommend OS valves also to get the max flow through your engine.

FYI several years ago we ran a Comp 280 H cam.I think around .460 lift.turned 82-8300 every week.Stock crank,stock 5.2 rods,OEM Clevite pistons.Won many races with this setup.Some times bigger isn't always the answer,getting all the parts to work together properly may be the way to go.
    Last edited by Milford Motorsports; 06-14-2012 at 09:22 PM.

ok well i have a kb 2.3 5.2 with arp bolts idk if the rods are balanced i just got a scale so going to balance them soon. and did u get any bad piston wear turning ur 5.2 motor that high just dont want to blow the motor i have.
    jared flower

so u would recommend that i get the 608 crane cam? and just adjust the cam timing to move the power band.
    jared flower

We never had any wear problems with the 5.2 motors.Do not go .060 with OEM pistons because they won't hold up.KB pistons should work well.Changing to the .608 will cost quite a bit extra with the extra parts and machine work needed for a proper instaliation.I would look for a different solid cam,keep the costs down to start see how this setup performes.The .608 would work best with a 5.7 or longer rod short block.
    The power band recommendations from the manufactures are just a generalized range of peak output numbers from the factories dyno testing.They may see peak HP at 7300 but actual HP at 8300 may only be down 5hp.You don't need peak HP going into the corner anyway,you need to find max power 1/2 to 3/4 down the straights to get the most advantage.

ok. and im not to worryed about the cost fctor its better to be to spend money one good time instead of a few good times. and im working on getting a 5.7 motor. but trying to just get the most hp out of my 5.2 i run with big 2.3 and 2.5 to 2.6s so i have to make a much as possible and keep the car up to snuff to keep up. thats y im building a new head.
    jared flower