Default when to use right front brake shut off??

whats the advantage of having one and when to use it?

The advantage is you can use it to shut off the RF brake, and I use it when I want to shut off th RF brake.

I use it during packing laps to keep the RF from locking up in the mud. And as a last ditch, gotta get this battleship to turn on a stop and go type track.
    Crew Chief "Tip of the day":
    Most handling problems can be solved by adjusting the screw-ball. It can be difficult to fine tune at times. Explaining yourself loudly and striking it on top of the helmet with a dead blow hammer usually works well.

My driver uses it pretty much all the time, if you get used to it, it is a very useful tool for turning the car, wether on the gas or off. I'm acually considering removing the caliper and rotor to save wieght. I used to help on the a super street(camaro) that did not have a rotor or caliper on the RF and won two championships and a lot of races.

Red face

I've got it on my car that I've owned for close to 3 yrs now...never touched it. If you have it turned off and theres a wreck on the backstretch that you need to avoid, you go to jam on the brakes and the car will pull to the left real hard. I would only use it on a super tacky track in qualifying, but that's just me. I wouldn't use it as a substitute to turn the car if the car is that tight; I'd go and possibly make a setup change. But this is just coming from a rookie who's never used one.

When I use it to turn the car, it's because the setup is off during the feature and it still won't turn.
    Most handling problems can be solved by adjusting the screw-ball. It can be difficult to fine tune at times. Explaining yourself loudly and striking it on top of the helmet with a dead blow hammer usually works well.

It definitely helps turn the car on entry when the track is heavy (hot laps). Yes you would be better off making a setup adjustment but it's not like it really matters if you're fast in hot laps but if you want to at least look like the other cars getting into the corner, flip on the 3 wheel.
    We quit trying to be fast in hot laps a long time ago. Put the heat race setup on it, go out and shake the car down, make sure everything is running right, and just deal with the car being a too tight to turn in a 40 acre field.

There are times when you mis-read the track prior to the feature, or the track gets away from you during a race where it comes in handy. I'd love to remove the caliper and rotor from mine, but we are required to have them, although I don't even bother hooking up the caliper.

Most drivers I have worked with leave RF turned off. If your car is too loose, then add front brake with bias.

However, you will spin out if you have to slam on brakes.

I use mine when I'm worried I may push. When you push and you're about to hit the wall just stab the brake and it'll pull the front down away from the wall. Also use it if the car won't turn...but from what I've always been told it's a handling issue if you NEED to use it to turn the car.

I knew some folks that took the caliper off one night...it was back on the next week. How much weight saving you really think you're getting for a caliper? 4 pounds for the caliper and 15 for rotor? If you can feel 20 pounds you're probably better than Owens or Bloomquist.

LOL! its not how much weight, its where it is being taken from.

Quote Originally Posted by merc123 View Post
    If you can feel 20 pounds you're probably better than Owens or Bloomquist.
    I am not sure I agree with that. I would think most decent drivers could feel a 20 pound difference on a corner. I know I felt the difference of just moving 25 pounds 12 inches lower on the car. 20 pounds is a lot of weight, especially on 1 corner.

Weight benefits aside, you need a brake on all 4 wheels unless you want to be a crash magnet.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1