Thread: 5th coil spring

Default 5th coil spring

A very elementary question but --- as the track slicks off to black shinny - do you go to a softer spring or a stiffer spring on the 5th coil --- we currently are on swing arms but can go to a z-link or 4-bar setup --- thanks in advance

I've made the adjustment of going to a softer 5th spring. It helps the car at all times, for me, but it has drastically changed my car for the better. This change has given me a lot more foward drive and helped the car roll over on the RR more when I go to get back in the throttle, as well. Hope this helps!

Have succesfully used a 133lb stack with a locknut on a slick track.

Quote Originally Posted by LIS20 View Post
    A very elementary question but --- as the track slicks off to black shinny - do you go to a softer spring or a stiffer spring on the 5th http://www.car-stuff.com/coilsprings.htm--- we currently are on swing arms but can go to a z-link or 4-bar setup --- thanks in advance
    Well, unless you drive like a STAB the THROTTLE type of driver, you will see more instant traction with a stiffer spring. But personally, I tried a light spring, the car was so slow to hook up that I couldn't ever get the car going.
    Last edited by cswitch11; 07-22-2012 at 12:45 AM.

What is considered soft? And hard? On dry slick. Do they make progressive springs and if so what rates would be a good start for slick conditions?