Default Steel or aluminum motor mounts?

What are most of you guys using aluminum or steel motor mounts on your aluminum motors ? Thx

We have steel mounts on our aluminum engine...

ive seen the aluminum ones twist an bend on a stock block super street car...

I would use the alum. mounts as in a wreck they would be more likely to break or bend much better/cheaper than breaking the mounts off the side of the block.

I've seen to many aluminum mounts crack or twist. Been running steel mounts on aluminum motors for 10-12 years with no problems.(Was in the lightweight phase like everybody else back then and one thing for sure is lightweight is great but only if it works and doesn't fail)

I use aluminum because they will deform a lot more than steel when you get in a wreck. I would rather have the mount deform/crack than the engine block.

Never had a problem with cracking but maybe thats because I replace mine every 2 years or so. Aluminum has a lot shorter fatigue life than steel.

I'm sure it's happened, but whenever I've seen a hard hit, the engine mounts on the frame will bend/break before the bosses on the aluminum block break and thats why we have always run steel...

Quote Originally Posted by FlatTire View Post
    I use aluminum because they will deform a lot more than steel when you get in a wreck. I would rather have the need to buy motor mounts deform/crack than the engine block.

Never had a problem with cracking but maybe thats because I replace mine every 2 years or so. Aluminum has a lot shorter fatigue life than steel.
    ^ I do agree. And personally, I like to have a setup to have as strong of thermal connection as possible to the motor, so it can also act as a heatsink. Aluminum would do a better job than of steel.
    Last edited by cswitch11; 08-05-2012 at 12:39 AM.