Default Anyone running 16v on a Mel's distriubtor?

For last 2 seasons I been running 16v battery, MSD distriubtor, coil and, igniton box and have not had any trouble. Swithced to using a Mel's distriubtor and coil and still the 16v. It ran great for 3 weeks. Last night it just shut off. Found a place in the coil tower the spark was arching out of. Replaced with a MSD coil just to try and make it thru the night. Ran it (idling) for about 3 minutes and it shut off again. The MSD coil was red hot. And its not firing again. I haven't left the battery on or anything to build heat in it (I learned about this the hard way).
    I am not knocking his stuff in any way, He seems to be a super guy. Going to call him in the mornig to see if his stuff is compatible with 16v or I need to go back to 12v, Or maybe I have developed an electrical issue somewhere. I just thought I would ask here to see if anyone else experienced anything like this.

Default Mel's distributor

Simlar problem to mine last race - running Mel's distributor, MSD Blaster 2 coil. Half way through race motor began running rough, like it was on a rev limiter. pulled in the pits and saw spark arcing between the center tower of the coil and the plus and minus terminals. don't know what caused it. in process of replacing coil, wires, and cap. three races earlier i lost another Blaster 2 coil - this one got so hot i couldn't touch it. not sure if i got two bad coils or something else is going on. Ran the Mel's unit last season with no issues.

Talked to Mel this morning. Its designed for 12v. Also said the resistance is different between his coil and MSD coil and the MSD will build heat and go bad in a hurry.
    So pretty much, go with 12v, his distriubtor and coil and, never leave the battery on without it running and shouldn't have any issues.

Default Mel's distributor

Mel pretty much told me the same thing this morning. Ordered a new coil and set of wires from him today. We'll see how it runs this weekend.

How do you get ahold of Mel's? Thanks.

Default Mel's ignition

His number is 919-663-2816. By the way, got the new coil from Mel and so far the motor's running fine.

If the coils you've been running, Mel's or MSD, are oil-filled, they should be mounted in a horizontal position, versus vertical. The internal cooling oil will do a better job of cooling the secondary coil windings if mounted horizontally. -Dave-