Default 602 out run a 604 questions

Ok we have a guy at the track that is running a 602 and running everynight in the top 3 with 604s. What am I missing about a 602 to get the most power out of them. So everyone please give me ideas or insite to getting more power out of mine? Thanks in advance

what size track?

Its not all about HP

Here is a statement that I make daily

"I feed my family from rebuiding crate engines to near their peak power---but as a racer of 30 plus years I will take a new RR tire and a driver with a good attitude over 50HP any day"

Brad

Well said When we first ran Super Modifieds we blew our motor and were waiting on one We ran a 292 GM six cyl and won some races against some notable drivers It had just enough power you could basically flatfoot it around the 1/2 mile track It was a surprise to everybody It just proves as you say it usually attitude and handling Sorry for the other post I would claim I was drunk but I don't drink so I'll just correct it
    Last edited by Chico; 06-18-2012 at 10:47 PM.
    my daughter my sailor my hero the next greatest generation is our men and women now in harms way Pray for them

this is a 1/2 mile track and he says hes only running 6300 rpms.Of course everyone else is running 6700-7000 is this where hes really getting everyone because of flat footin it and staying in the range it should be ran in?

Default the right junk can win take the time to read.

Quote Originally Posted by brad hibbard View Post
    Its not all about HP

"I feed my family from rebuiding crate engines to near their peak power---but as a racer of 30 plus years I will take a new RR tire and a driver with a good attitude over 50HP any day"

Brad
    I owned a hobby car in the mid 90's before they had a cubic inch limit and compression ratio limit so were running against 406 and strokers. I had good drivers. here are the specs 360 ci, 8.8 compression, 882 heads, hydraulic crane cam around 525 lift. 4 releif pistons. trans was a th350 in third gear with a stock torque converter ran a ford 9 inch the rest of the car specs you won't even beleive but here the are: stock right rear spring out of gbody, g body elcamino left rear, both were new though, monroe sensatrack rear shocks, racing front shocks stock mount, 900 and 1000 springs. you will love the next one 215 70 14 rear tires [to lower rear of car to promote weight transfer], big right front 15 inch tire [used this as a weight jack], big 14 inch left front. now for the wins first year 1/4 mile track no wins second year same small track and 1/2 mile track 6 wins 3 each second in points at both tracks. The second year the wins were by two differnt drivers when I switched drivers at the small track they made the new driver start 17th and he won! never drove the car before but he had his own street stock that he raced at the same track. This car loved dry tracks One added note tech guy measured wheel base one time by measuring from front of rim to front of rim and didn't like one bit that our wheel base was 3/4 inch different side to side he even went as far to tell me it was the wrong lead which I always run left side lead I just laughed because I figured if he couldn't figure out the rim deal he wasn't going to figure out the lead.
    Last edited by cheaterleaddog; 06-18-2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: miss wrote

I have a BONE STOCK 602 and I can compete and outrun a lot of 604's at my local track. I've actually ran 3rd out of 20 or so before and the majority of the field, like most people who run crate, had a 604. Another thing is weight...I haven't had mine on the scales in a while, but when it was last on, it was 2250 with me in it. I run about 5-10 gal of fuel less now. So I'm on the verge of barely making the minimum 2200.

Maybe he has some special tuned springs and a special carb system and some special headers and some other 007 type stuff Sorry Had to add this I'm guess it's like it's been said a combo of weight savings and slick tracks esp this time of yr
    my daughter my sailor my hero the next greatest generation is our men and women now in harms way Pray for them

Default Brad pm cheaterleaddog back please

Quote Originally Posted by brad hibbard View Post
    Its not all about HP

Brad
    Brad I pm'd youplease respond

cheaterleaddog----apparently there is more than 1 person with this screen name---at least thats what the 4M response was when I tried to respond to you

try me through the website---that always works

Brad

www.race-1.com

I have a customer in the mid west that continually has success not only in the crate world but also against steel blocks and I have even heard about him running against supers with success.

This is Evan Fink and I absolutely garuntee his engines are crate legal----actually of late they are "box" stock ----

to the best of my knowledge it is only Evan and his Dad working on their cars but they take it very serious and address their problems not what everyone else is doing.

Attitude and hard work go along way and can easily beat HP

Brad

People get so focused on one thing, and don't see the big picture. Why is it when someone is running well with a 602 vs guys with 604's they immediately question his motor. Why not say "I know he can get X amount of HP out of it, so what else is he doing to go fast?" Shocks, tires, springs, driving, aero all of the above. It's always possible they are cheating. But lets assume they aren't.

The simple golf analogy. You may pick up a stroke or 2 with a new putter or a new driver. But are you using that club to 100% of its potential? Or are you hitting a $400 club with a $10 swing?
    Crew Chief "Tip of the day":
    Most handling problems can be solved by adjusting the screw-ball. It can be difficult to fine tune at times. Explaining yourself loudly and striking it on top of the helmet with a dead blow hammer usually works well.

Couple weeks ago at Ocala Speedway a crate motor started 9th in the feature and almost won against NLMSS engines and a bunch of tough local competition and some larger names including Randy Weaver who was running a Cornett built engine that was well over 100 hp more.

Quote Originally Posted by Egoracing View Post
    Couple weeks ago at Ocala Speedway a crate motor started 9th in the feature and almost won against NLMSS engines and a bunch of tough local competition and some larger names including Randy Weaver who was running a Cornett built engine that was well over 100 hp more.
    I'm sure you meant 1000 HP but I have to give you a hard time. After all, we know a guy that can type 200 words per minute :-)

And he's back............