2012 UMP Summer Nationals HELL Tours’ ONLY Race In Michigan Is THIS Sunday, June 24th

The cars and stars of the UMP Summer Nationals HELL Tour will invade I-96 Speedway THIS Sunday, June 24th to take on the tracks’ Miller Lite UMP Super Late Models in their ONLY stop in Michigan during the marathon 29 races in 32 days series. Widely considered the most grueling touring series in ALL of Motorsports, the tours’ only Great Lakes State stop will be the 11th race of the series out of the 29 scheduled.

Joining the UMP Super Late Models will be the UMP DIRTcar Summit Racing Equipment Modified Nationals as this tour was added to the Summernationals Schedule in 2011 and was a rousing success. They will once again join in on the HELL Tour and like the Late Models, this will be the Modified Tours’ ONLY stop in Michigan as they take on the tracks Accurate Engines UMP Modifieds.

Also on the card will be the Rudd’s Septic Service UMP Street Stocks and Smyrna Bar & Restaurant UMP Sport Compacts.

AS AN ADDED BONUS: The Rained Out Accurate Engines UMP Modifieds Feature from June 2nd WILL BE MADE UP on this night and will be the FIRST RACE of the Evening. From there, we’ll roll into the regularly scheduled Complete Show….

Get your tickets NOW through ShowClix, the Official Ticket Outlet of I-96 Speedway and you can purchase them by clicking on this link: http://www.showclix.com/event/223118

SPECIAL STARTING TIMES FOR THIS EVENT

Sunday, June 24th Schedule Of Events

Pit Gates Open: 2:00p.m.
Grandstand Gates Open: 4:00p.m.
Practice Starts / UMP Summer Nationals Qualifying (UMP Super Late Models ONLY): 4:30p.m.
Pre-Race Ceremonies / Invocation / National Anthem: 5:50p.m.

RACING STARTS: 6:00p.m.
UMP Modifieds Make-Up Feature From June 2nd (25 Laps)

UMP Street Stocks Qualifier Heats (8 Laps Each)
UMP Sport Compacts Qualifier Heats (8 Laps Each)
UMP Super Late Models Qualifier Heats (10 Laps Each)
UMP Modifieds Qualifier Heats (10 Laps Each)

UMP Street Stocks Last Chance Race (12 Laps)
UMP Sport Compacts Last Chance Race (12 Laps)
UMP Super Late Models Last Chance Race(s) (15 Laps Each)
UMP Modifieds Last Chance Race(s) (15 Laps Each)

Intermission / Track Prep (10 Minutes)

UMP Street Stocks Feature (20 Laps)
UMP Sport Compacts Feature (20 Laps)
UMP Super Late Models Feature (40 Laps)
UMP Modifieds Feature (30 Laps)

(NOTE: Schedule of Events is ‘Subject To Change’ at the discretion of I-96 Speedway, UMP Summer Nationals Hell Tour, and Summit Racing Equipment Modifieds Nationals Officials.)

——————————————————————————–

———————————————————————————
2011 UMP Summernationals HELL Tour Champion, Shannon Babb started his climb towards the series championship by winning his first of nine UMP Summernationals events during the tour! The Moweaqua, Illinois veterans’ victory in Lake Odessa, Michigan would propel him to the series Championship!

2011 UMP DIRTcar Racing Series Michigan State Champion, 2011 Michigan Dirt Cup Modifieds Series Champion, and 2011 I-96 Speedway Track Champion, Jacob Poel would win the UMP DIRTcar Summit Racing Equipment Modifieds Nationals portion of the night.

Below is a recap of the 2011 version of this event….

Lake Odessa, Michigan (Sunday, June 26th, 2011): The traveling cars and stars from the UMP Summer Nationals Hell Tour and the DIRTcar Summit Racing Equipment Modified Nationals invaded I-96 Speedway for the Biggest Single Day Racing Event in the state of Michigan for the 2011 racing season on Sunday, June 26th as an outstanding crowd jammed every inch of the Lake Odessa, Michigan speed plant and were treated to some outstanding racing within the three divisions as 102 teams were on the grounds.

The UMP Summer Nationals Hell Tour 40-lap Feature for the Tinney Automotive UMP Late Models was up first and after the greatest sight seen anywhere at any race track in the world; The four-wide salute “Wave Lap”, one of the strongest fields of the Hell Tour to date, and perhaps the strongest field of UMP Late Models ever assembled at I-96 Speedway took the green flag in search of a $5,000 pay day with Shannon Babb and Brian Shirley leading the stout 22-car starting field to the green flag.

Shirley jumped out to the early lead on the lightning fast 3/8s (0.375) mile high-banked dirt oval over Babb and the rest of the field who were jockeying for position. The laps quickly clicked off with Shirley setting a torrid early pace. By lap 15 Shirley had found himself surrounded by lapped traffic and he used that to his advantage to put even more real estate between him, Babb, and Fast Qualifier Zack Olger, the last weekly feature winner for the Tinney Automotive UMP Late Models at I-96 back on June 4th.

The first caution didn’t come out until lap 31 and on the restart; Shirley again pulled away from Babb and Olger and opened up nearly a straightaway lead on them in just a few short laps. However working on lap 38, Shirley tapped the turn two wall leading into the backstretch and was able to save the car. However he overshot turns three and four and spun his mount forcing the cars behind him to take evasive action. Babb was able to dodge Shirley but Olger had nowhere to go and slid into Shirley’s stopped machine bringing out the caution flag. Shirley was done for the evening while Olger went to the rear of the field with a damaged ride.

On the final restart, Babb had defending race winner, Jeep VanWormer on his back bumper, but after a short battle, Babb was able to put some distance between himself and the home state favorite and when the checkered flag flew, the Moweaqua, Illinois veteran, a two-time UMP Summer Nationals Champion and former Dirt Track World Championship winner, steered his Petroff Towing Chevrolet into victory lane after scoring his first Feature Win of the 2011 Hell Tour and taking over the Tours’ points lead in the process!

VanWormer settled for second with Defending UMP Summer Nationals Hell Tour Champion Jason Feger finishing third over 18-year-old Brandon Sheppard and Jack Sullivan who completed the top five. Former Three-Time UMP Summer Nationals Hell Tour Champion Dennis Erb Jr., finished sixth while Points Leader going into the night, Scott James was seventh over Billy Moyer Jr. Olger recovered to finish ninth with 19-year-old Dillan White rounding out the top 10.

Olger was the fastest of the 46 cars on the grounds in Qualifying as he established the track record on the 3/8s mile with a lap measured at a 16.255 which equals out to 83.051mph. He also scored a Qualifier Heat Race Win. Shirley, Babb, and White also collected Qualifier Heat Race wins while Donny Walden and Dave Hartman picked up C Main victories and Brian Ruhlman won the B Main over Dona Marcoullier to transfer into the Feature.

James and Walden earned UMP Summer Nationals Hell Tour Provisionals while 2010 UMP DIRTcar Racing Series National Champion Rusty Schlenk and Two-Time and Defending I-96 Speedway Track Champion Eric Spangler also picked up Provisionals as well.

The 30-lap DIRTcar Summit Racing Equipment Modified Nationals for the Lane Automotive UMP Modifieds rolled out next with a $1,000 pay check awaiting the winner. Another stout field of cars took the green flag as Jeff Sayles and Travis Stemler started on the front row. However it would be Joe Rokos, who started on the inside of the second row making a bold maneuver by the front row to take the early lead.

2007 Track Champion Shannon Fisk, who started on the outside of the second row, also made short work of the front row and set his sights on Rokos. On lap 10, he would take over the lead and try desperately to pull away from the rest of the field. However Jacob Poel, who came into the night second place in the season long points chase, worked his way up to second from his sixth starting spot and soon reeled in Fisk and the battle was on.

After trading the lead back and forth several times, Poel would take over the top spot for good on lap 20 and from there, the Spring Lake, Michigan driver in his Poel’s PRO-ACT Welding & Fabrication Chevrolet would go on to score his second Feature win of the 2011 racing season and draw ever so closer to Current Points Leader and UMP DIRTcar Racing Series Michigan State points leader, Mark Anderson, who finished 11th, in the chase for both titles.

Fisk finished second ahead of new DIRTcar Summit Racing Equipment Modified Nationals Points Leader; Forrest, Illinois visitor Jeff Curl who started 17th. Rokos was fourth ahead of Andy Sprague who finished off the top five. Last Week’s Feature winner, former Two-Time Track Champion Todd Feutz was sixth as Wheatfield, Indiana visitor Nick Allen was seventh over Defending Track Champion Rich Robinson Jr., Sayles, and Tim Stemler from 20th, completed the top 10.

There was no Qualifying for the Lane Automotive UMP Modifieds as all 31 competitors drew for their starting positions in the Qualifier Heat Races. Robinson Jr., Fisk, and Poel won the heat races. For Poel, he is perfect in Heat Races at I-96 in 2011 as it was his sixth straight heat race win in six nights of racing at I-96 Speedway! Hoosier State invader, Ryan Thomas won the B Main to transfer into the Feature over Curl, Kyle Roberts, Brad Wilson, and Tim Stemler who also transferred.

UMP Summer Nationals Hell Tour Results for June 26th, 2011

DIRTcar Summit Racing Equipment Modifieds Nationals Results for June 26th, 2011

About I96 Speedway
Today I-96 Speedway is one of the finest weekly racing facilities in the mid-west. Each week the stands are filled with eager fans hearing the sounds of thundering race cars. I-96 provides racing action for speed demons who tune their race cars for speed and fame.

I96 Speedway
3823 W. Portland Road
Lake Odessa, MI 48849
PH: 616.642.0555
FX: 616.642.0525
info@i96speedway.com