Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Slick 1/4 mile?

If it were ME, either some 416/601s or sneak in some GM aluminums.

601/416s are the lightest head made.

But I never had an engine over 370 hp. Never needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by perfconn View Post
    Again you don't know what you are talking about.Hendrens has never done a set of steel heads for me.Call Steve if you don't believe me.HVH does all my steel heads.
    i never said you had any done by hendrens. i said those are the heads you are talking about. bill/steve posted about those heads many times on this forum and others.

does your retirement activities include forgetting how to read? if so maybe you should step away from the tv for a while. it'll rot your brain!

Hendrens heads are not the heads I am talking about.If you were not such a know it all and would shut up and listen on occasion you might learn something.HVH does all my steel heads.The smallest chambers Bill could do was 39cc.Call Steve Byers in Milton,Pa.He bought a set of them.HVH does my heads way different.

Quote Originally Posted by Living_Truth View Post
    He said it would be an 'extra $2000+' and I'm saying that's not true. He exaggerated the price difference to prove your point. Hell, I had a new set of Sports II's angle milled along with a used intake to match. Even after all the machine work and parts, I didn't have $2k in that setup when I bolted it on!

Jeff spent $2200 on that set of Vortecs. And you are trying to convince me that angle milling and a different set of pistons will increase the price by $2000 or more? Wrong. He inflated that to prove that point, which I called him out on.
    you appear easily confused so ill type slow so you can understand.

vortec bowties milled to 50cc complete will cost around $1600 as stockcardriver already mentioned.

milled 33cc heads from hendren labor ALONE is $1600 maybe even more now. add in the cost of the bare heads at $700 then put your valvetrain parts in (we'll go with modest parts @$700) your up to 3k already. now add in the fact you need special head studs (about $200) and a raise runner intake (another $300) your at $3500. i'm sure you can do the simple math of the difference between $1600 and $3500 right? if not us let me know i can help you out.

$2500.00 to HVH includes heads not just labor.

living,
    changing your numbers and your story isnt gonna make your math skills look any better. all you've done is try to convince a guy that spending thousands more to gain a few hp is worth it in a b-mod class that probably pays $300 to win max.

advise from people like you are whats wrong with these forums. if you wanna waste your money thats your deal but dont try to make others do the same just so you can feel better about what you've wasted money on.

I think that $2,500 for a set of heads that HVH provides, and then angle mills to the desired depth, etc is not un-reasonable...The smaller the combustion chamber makes the most HP...we have a set of 38 cc heads at 15:1 with no dome to impede flame travel...

Default motors

i used to be infatuated w extreme machining and finding every last hp and for a long time i had the baddest engine around . then something profound happened to me. i went to the track and my friend who i was helping had a 350 cid 12-1 dart headed motor basic everything and he just walked the dog all over me and everybody else. i was running a sb2 motor and he passed me like i was standing still. i stopped dreaming about awesome engine combos that night. now i spend money on tires and shocks and turned my high hp race horse to a mule. yea its boring and it aint special just my 2 cents this was a funny convo tho man you guys give each other hell lol. thats all im sayin lol

Quote Originally Posted by sj valley dave View Post
    I think that $2,500 for a set of heads that HVH provides, and then angle mills to the desired depth, etc is not un-reasonable...The smaller the combustion chamber makes the most HP...we have a set of 38 cc heads at 15:1 with no dome to impede flame travel...
    Those for the DLM or SS?
    »»*†HÀ†§ HÓ††™««

The 15:1 deal is for the DLM...11*/8* stuff......We never ran over 14:1 with 23* heads on the Street Stock...Most builds were 13:1..The 14:1 engine, which we still have, has a set of angle milled darts to help get it there with out huge dome...

Quote Originally Posted by sj valley dave View Post
    The 15:1 deal is for the DLM...11*/8* stuff......We never ran over 14:1 with 23* heads on the Street Stock...Most builds were 13:1..The 14:1 engine, which we still have, has a set of angle milled darts to help get it there with out huge dome...
    dave, we werent trying to compare a dome to a flat top/angled milled head motor. we were debating the cost/hp difference between a 33cc head with a dish to a 50cc or so cc head with a flat top piston.

That would be a nice combo for a 12:1 engine...depending on head gasket thickness and getting the piston way up in the bore, he could get it right to the allowed maximum. A smaller chamber and a dish piston will give him more HP because of the chamber, but what type of purse is this class racing for?

Hey there Dave. I think it pays 300 to win. I don't race for money. I race to say i won and i really enjoy it. If they paid 50 dollars to win , i would still race . Its nice to win money when you do well, but i race as though i am not going to win a dime. I don't like throwing money out the window, but i have enough money to race without making a dime racing.I appreciate all the info on here, and it has helped quite a bit. Sounds like the vortecs are the way to go from what i am gathering.I know people have different opinions on this, but i listen to what everyone has to say. I do appreciate all the info and advice.