Default powerglide question!!!

The problem im having is, everything works fine except for when i put it in low gear to take off, i can feel it wanting to move but it doesnt! It works in reverse good! Anybody know of anything?

are you sure it's going all the way in Gear?
    my daughter my sailor my hero the next greatest generation is our men and women now in harms way Pray for them

Im pretty sure, i was told that it could be a wore out band? 1st time ive ised one! Whats the shift pattern just so i know for sure?

All the way back is first/ low. Just above the manual shift lever that comes outside the case on the drivers side is the band adjustment for first. Use a allen wrench and hold the screw, unlock the 3/8 lock nut 4 turns. Screw in the allen until there is medium resistance. This should be about 3 turns. If it is more, the band is wearing, keep turning until you get resistance. Now back it out 3 turns and lock the nut. No matter what I would pull the pan and check for debris. Replace the filter and refill with fluid. Just a small amount of debris will slow the flow and burn it up.
    Good luck.

So the actual shifter on the housing, the rod inside the tranny has to be as far in as possible for it to be in low or is it the other way around! Or easier yet the shift lever has to be all the way back? Im pretty sure that high gear on the lever is all the way forward?

Ok well maybe im just not getting it all the up in low! I was think all the way forward was high, ill try it tonight after work and make sure my shifter is letting me go up all the way! whats the normal fluid amount without using a tordue convertor? 4.5-5 quarts?

Whether the shifter lever should be all the way forward or all the way back will depend on whether your shift lever on the trans points up or down.

A different way to think of it would be, facing the shift lever on the trans from the side, all the way counter-clockwise is Low. All the way clockwise is Park.

I always point my shifter lever (this is an aftermarket piece that can be installed up or down) on the trans up. That way, I have the "normal" shift pattern on my gearshift inside the car.
    Last edited by speedbuggy; 06-26-2012 at 01:49 PM.

If you have a reverse shift pattern valve body and your shifter linkage on the transmission pointed down, then your shift pattern would be High, Low, Nuetral, Reverse, Park. If the linkage points up, then it would be Park, Reverse, Nuetral, Low, High.

The fluid is good and full! The pattern thats on this tranny is high,low,neutral, reverse, park! The car wl barely move in low still! I put it up on jack stands and it moves really good and shifts fine! Once i put it back down on the grand it doesnt wanna pull? Is it a wore out band u think?

How far can you turn that allen screw in unt it stops? Ive went both ways with it and it doesnt change anything from what i can see!

I was having the same problem with my bike and was stuck with since I am an amateur in this racing world and didn't know what to do. DaveBauerSS6's suggestion has helped me a lot in understanding the problem. Thanks DaveBauerSS6.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNSON View Post
    How far can you turn that allen screw in unt it stops? Ive went both ways with it and it doesnt change anything from what i can see!
    That Allen screw is actually the end of a 5-inch long rod that tightens or loosens the band. You should be able screw it in until you can't get it any tighter. If it screws in below the case surface, there’s a problem. Either a worn band, a badly worn high clutch drum, or the adjustment rod has jumped out of the hole in the back of the “fork” that fits into the tabs on the band. Another possibility is the low servo sealing ring is leaking/broken causing low fluid pressure.

If you adjusted it like DaveBauerSS6 said and it still doesn’t pull in low, you’ve got a problem.

Bad news is that you’ll have to pull the front pump to fix any of these. Good news is that Low gear issues are pretty easy to fix unless your planetary is bad (doesn’t sound like that’s the case here).

bring it over Lance i will fix you up reasonable...

Send me a pm or text 217-853-8287! Trying to get the track with this new car but ppl selling me junk and saying it works isnt working out to good!

Did you ever get it fixed? What was it?

Default Powerglide

If you are running a powerglide direct drive without the converter You will either have to use the kick down or passing gear lever to apply the low gear band and reverse clutches or your valve body will have 2 small carb jets for low and reverse to throttle the pressure to these gears only by bypassing pressure to the pan. You will then raise engine rpm to apply pressure to these gears and this is adjusted by the size of the orafice in these 2 jets. Hope this helps some..

Quote Originally Posted by speedbuggy View Post
    Did you ever get it fixed? What was it?
    The servo had been changed evidently and the band strut fell out of position..