Default In Car Video Camera

What kind of camera's are people using inside the race car's? I am looking to buy a new one, and cant really afford the GoPro or the ContourGPS. I am looking for a decent camera that is under $75. Is there any out there for that price?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hot_rod View Post
    What kind of camera's are people using inside the race car's? I am looking to buy a new one, and cant really afford the GoPro or the ContourGPS. I am looking for a decent camera that is under $75. Is there any out there for that price?

Thanks
    I use a flip cam with a ram rollbar mount, all HD video. cheapest way i know of with good quality day or night. mount around 30, cam around 100 depends on which model you get and you can preview your video right on the cam...i just bought a go pro and you cannot view the video you just shot unless you have a computer at the track. Fact is flip is cheaper and easier to use with more options and a 2 hr battery and IMO better than the go pro which is more $$$ and you have to wait till you get home to view your video.
    Last edited by 3dinter; 07-17-2012 at 08:33 AM.

I use the Drift HD 170. Very easy to operate also comes with remote control. Hardly ever does lens mud up the way its designed. Nice piece.

Well it looks like I will just have to save up some money and get the ContourGPS. All of the camera's that everyone has listed has been right around 250 to 300 dollars. I found a complete setup for racing with the ContourGPS for around 350 shipped on Amazon. I appreciate everyone's input.

The Drift HD 170 comes ready to plug and play...no other things to buy. Includes rollbar mounting bracket. Price they offer is plug and play all others you must buy something else to fit your needs or desires.

I have a gopro it's neat little camera but you don't get a rollbar mount or a card to stor the video's on.but now that I have it working very cool video's a nice learning tool.

I like the idea of the ContiurGPS having the built in GPS receiver and it supposedly will show your driving lines with the actual speed. I think that it will help me as a driver starting out. This is only my third year of racing. Still struggling a little bit getting a good line.

Jeff, how is the video quality at night with the Contour Roam and with the shakiness of the car actually racing?

looks like that pavement racing helped out.

Slick hot laps with a cheapo walmart digital camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlOp_AK0hGo

What's the best rechargeable batteries to use with gopro? I been buying the lithium batteries but only getting a couple notes on them. I think I would be better off with a couple sets of rechargeable ones

Default Video Footage

Well I got the ContourGPS in and raced this past week with it in the car. The camera was very easy to align with the ConnectView for the Iphone. The quality of the video is as good as I could ever hope for. The audio was pretty clear not a lot wind noise (I made a wind sock with some old headphone ear foam that I cut up and glued over the microphone). Here is a link to my Contour account.

http://contour.com/users/ar15purestock

hopefully that will work. Let me know what you think. The Heat I started outside pole and after a spin, finished third. The feature started 2nd outside, ended up leading every lap to my first Feature win.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddSmith16 View Post
    Thats pretty funny! Those guys are scared of the top side!

Man I wish we had tracks like that to race on....Those are some good videos.

Quote Originally Posted by gun91 View Post
    What's the best rechargeable batteries to use with gopro? I been buying the lithium batteries but only getting a couple notes on them. I think I would be better off with a couple sets of rechargeable ones
    Comes with its own battery

Check out stock car drivers vids on youtube. Really clear video and awesome aduio.

Am i the only lonely sole that using an iPhone? I have this simple jack iPhone car mount posted properly from my pov...it works, but surely i could do something better...

Quote Originally Posted by Hurst390 View Post
    Thats pretty funny! Those guys are scared of the top side!
    Agreed, way to go up there and get after it.
    Josh K.

You can get the original GoPro Hero pretty cheap now (maybe used on craigslist). You don't really need the motorsports edition because it comes with the suction cup, that's the only real difference. I never use my suction cup but some have had success with it. I do use a tether on mine, just a piece of rope that I put inside the cover when I close it up. Still keeps it airtight.

Here's one on Amazon for $160.
    GoPro Hero Naked

Here's the roll bar mount to for $18. They've come down some.
    GoPro Rollbar Mount