Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rear weight

This is a 4/10 Mile racetrack with lots of straightaway for a 4 cylinder you definitely can't afford to lose the torque thats why people build the 9" rears we don't have a reliability issue with axles, maybe C clips if your dumb enough to run those. You can get away with 3rd gear but It does hinder you here we are already over weight and Nose heavy so adding a few pounds isn't hurting but killing your whole straightaway is way bigger. We are on 15" tires and rims they don't accelerate or pull hard compared to others. YOu can get the gained weight back down by changing your building design I'm 2550 with a heavier motor but I built it light I know Supertruck isn't that light with the same chassis so you can gain back what you lose. With some handling he has a good foundation.

On a 4cyl racecar with less then 200 horsepower, lighter is ALWAYS better. Too many wins and champions use 7.5 rears to argue that point.

Yeah I have quite a few championships and wins myself BUT this isn't a mini-stock its a Mini Truck on 15" wheels and rims your trying to wind up. That isn't nearly as light its not Pound per CC. I know what I'm talking about I run 4cyl Trucks, a Mod 4 with the only DOHC Toyota Motor with a 500 Holley on it in the world that runs a stock intake from Australia, as well as Dirt Late models. Ive seen the Dyno numbers myself and can provide sheets if you'd like your looking at 20% losses running it in third on our motors with an Inertia Dyno. I'd be willing to put anything out of my shop that runs in fourth gear against your 3rd gear I can always lighten stuff elsewhere to compensate. You have to remember this is a truck not a car. Different trans and driveline rules. They wind up slower then hell and handle nothing like a car you can't spin these wheels if you try and he already has a 9" your talking 30 lbs maybe and the 7:40 gear is lightened in itself. No disrespect but you can't go outside what wins hear by running stuff that doesn't even make sense I said maybe 3rd would work if you didn't have provisions for anything else but 2nd gear which is the case here this isn't dirt with a pinto trans you have to turn 9k, your asking alot of your driveline to wind up those big tires every lap

The top 5 at langley all run 9" in 4th I ran a 7.27 final and turned 7500/7600, He ran 2nd with a 7.40 and runs 7300 same motor he honestly has more then I do it just won't tote it in those gears, and I'm going to kill someone on a restart everytime that running 2nd if i change the restart pace hes screwed.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 7uptruckracer View Post
    Yeah I have quite a few championships and wins myself BUT this isn't a mini-stock its a Mini Truck on 15" wheels and rims your trying to wind up. That isn't nearly as light its not Pound per CC. I know what I'm talking about I run 4cyl Trucks, a Mod 4 with the only DOHC Toyota Motor with a 500 Holley on it in the world that runs a stock intake from Australia, as well as Dirt Late models. Ive seen the Dyno numbers myself and can provide sheets if you'd like your looking at 20% losses running it in third on our motors with an Inertia Dyno. I'd be willing to put anything out of my shop that runs in fourth gear against your 3rd gear I can always lighten stuff elsewhere to compensate. You have to remember this is a truck not a car. Different trans and driveline rules. They wind up slower then hell and handle nothing like a car you can't spin these wheels if you try and he already has a 9" your talking 30 lbs maybe and the 7:40 gear is lightened in itself. No disrespect but you can't go outside what wins hear by running stuff that doesn't even make sense I said maybe 3rd would work if you didn't have provisions for anything else but 2nd gear which is the case here this isn't dirt with a pinto trans you have to turn 9k, your asking alot of your driveline to wind up those big tires every lap
    OK. Didn't mean to ruffle feathers.
    Last edited by drtlvr; 09-11-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Its all good, Id agree on a lot if it was a normal application but these seem to be off the beaten path. Not much works thats conventional. If it was a ford mustang id totally agree on the rear end, but this is a very annoying animal. Leaf springs and bad geometry on top of a lead sled and lack of tech really makes it tough

Yea, no teching is always a problem.