Default Got a bizarre fishing tale to tell

Ok, so I was out yesterday from about 10 to 4 in the john boat on an oxbow lake I fish a lot. It was hot so i was using deep diving crankbait to get close to the bottom in the deeper water or down to about 5-8 feet pretty fast on short casts.

It worked pretty well and I caught maybe 6 or so in the first couple hours, but nothing of any remarkable size. Then I pulled up near a downed tree and throw it between the forked limbs and did a quick retrieve to get it to dive deep and sure enough, a fat old lady slammed it and I got my first big one of the day. It went a full 5 lbs I would find out later.

But, this thing really swallowed the crank bait, so as I was trying to hold onto it by the jaw with one hand and pull the bait it, it got to jerking around so much I lost my grip and only had it by the line. Then it snapped the line and flopped around on the bottom of the boat, making that grinding sound they make when distressed.

I picked it back up by the jaw and recommenced lure removal with my pliers when it went into another epileptic fit, only this time it shot out of my hands and plopped back into the lake. Great. Not only did I lose a nice deep diving crank bait I was having good success with, but that lure was certainly going to kill the fish embedded in it's throat. It was already bleeding from the gills pretty badly when it got away.

So I sat there and started to open up the tackle box to find another lure to tie on, and as I was in the process, this thing broke water back over in the trees in a mighty plume of water, shaking it's head trying to dislodge the lure. I thought again, man, that stinks losing the lure and a nice bass that could get even bigger if left to its own devices. I mostly catch and release those big ones to give them a chance to turn into trophies.

I go back to tying another crank bait on and about 2 minutes later, I am startled as the dang fish busts water right next to me in the boat, only this time I get a clear view of it as it comes out of the water. This bass shot straight at me like Jaws looking for Quinn, shaking it's head side to side and pop!... out goes my lure, coming to rest floating about a foot from the fish and back to my left. And the fish is just lazily floating in the water next to my boat, like "there's yer dang lure back, jerk, my throat is KILLING me now."

So I quickly grab the net, scoop up the fish so I can weigh it and take a picture. I can post pics later of both before and after, and with the fish and the lure in my dip net, but suffice it to say, that was the strangest thing I have ever had happen while on the water.

The lure went on to catch more, and as the fish was dying anyway, it is now cleaned and fileted and waiting for the frying pan.

Thumbs up

Way to hot for me to go fishing........we went Roller Skating!!
    R.I.P. Leebo
    www.StBaldricks.org
    R.I.P "Buck" Simmons
    www.southeasternlatemodels.com

I've heard of the one that got away, but never the one that got away and came back.
    "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Crazy things happen sometime some of it hard to fathom unless you see I know I've seen some wild things in nature fishing and hunting lol Hope she tastes good
    my daughter my sailor my hero the next greatest generation is our men and women now in harms way Pray for them

I have had some strange stuff happen too.

I was fishing this little pond on Ft. Stewart from my kayak. A buddy and his son were in their Jonboat just around the corner. They weren't catching anything and it seemed like I was having one of those perfect days. I could have have used toilet paper as bait and caught fish. I was throwing a crankbait that I bought in a bargain bin for $1 at Bass Pro (I don't think it was suppose to be in that bin). I get a hit and had a nice little fight going on for about 7 seconds. Then the line gets real heavy and it looks like I am dragging a log across the top of the water. I thought aw he!!, he tossed the crank and I got hooked on something. As I lifted it out of the water imagine my surprise........a double!

Those little guys were barely twice the size of the crank bait!
    Crew Chief "Tip of the day":
    Most handling problems can be solved by adjusting the screw-ball. It can be difficult to fine tune at times. Explaining yourself loudly and striking it on top of the helmet with a dead blow hammer usually works well.

Same crank bait on a different pond. Fishing with a friend in his Jonboat. I had gotten that crank bait hung up on everything that day. And I was not have a good day at all, every possible problem you can have fishing.....I had it.

I had a little loop in my line on the reel so I chucked really far to get it out. I was cranking it back in and the line went completely slack. I thought son of a b......the crank finally broke off. I was mad and started cranking fast and BOOOOOM. The fish must have swam at me to hit the crank, thats why it went slack. I fought that thing for what felt 15 minutes. It was right next to the boat and it came up out of the water what seemed like as face high to us. We could see the crank about to be tossed, it was barely hanging on to his cheek. My buddy paniced and dove over the side of the Jonboat reaching in the water. His arm was in the water passed his elbow and pulled the fish out hahaha. As soon as he had it up over the boat......pop out comes the crank bait. Not the biggest fish I ever caught but definitely the most exciting. I have never seen anyone dive after a fish hahaha.
    Crew Chief "Tip of the day":
    Most handling problems can be solved by adjusting the screw-ball. It can be difficult to fine tune at times. Explaining yourself loudly and striking it on top of the helmet with a dead blow hammer usually works well.

Here's mine i took this gal on a first date out fishing in the U.P. she limited out, me a few. On the way back in i ran the boat over a jagged stump (not paying attention), serious enough damage it was done for. As we are coming ashore a Black bear shows up, so we give our catch to it, to avoid hassle. By the time we reach my truck its dark, and of course the POS dosen't want to start, i have no cell hers is shot (water). In the process of walking out we get sprayed by a skunk and good (not paying attention again). It was the best first date i ever had and the last, i asked her to marry me 3 weeks later and 2 1/2 weeks after that i was married.
    "This will remain the land of the free only as long as it is the home of the brave."-Elmer Davis

WWTDD.

Hey Mr. Doozer, do you write for Roland Martin ?
    8/13/16

Fishing Grandads pond and a young cousin walks up..."Can I borrow one of your poles?", "Naw buddy don't think you can use a reel like this". "Can I have some line and a hook then?", "Sure buddy" I said. "Hey I need one of those lizards!" ...Ten minutes later kid has a 7 pounder on the line!

Same day...my wife is sitting on the bank just messing around because she likes to see if she can hit the water in a spot when she aims at it....5 plus pounder!! Then she says "I am going back up to the house, I am bored"

Default Reply to Roman

Roman you have no doubt caught a great woman. She sure has a sense of humor. I guess she married you thinking things could only get better.

She is, she does, and your prolly right.

But danged if i can get her to go Ice fishing, i try to tell her how romantic it would be, out thar in the crisp air no skunks, bugs or bears. She gives me some gubble about her southern blood isn't suited for that blah, blah blah.
    "This will remain the land of the free only as long as it is the home of the brave."-Elmer Davis

WWTDD.

Quote Originally Posted by roman View Post
    Here's mine i took this gal on a first date out fishing in the U.P. she limited out, me a few. On the way back in i ran the boat over a jagged stump (not paying attention), serious enough damage it was done for. As we are coming ashore a Black bear shows up, so we give our catch to it, to avoid hassle. By the time we reach my truck its dark, and of course the POS dosen't want to start, i have no cell hers is shot (water). In the process of walking out we get sprayed by a skunk and good (not paying attention again). It was the best first date i ever had and the last, i asked her to marry me 3 weeks later and 2 1/2 weeks after that i was married.
    (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) Roman I swear we have the same luck although on that particular escapade it may have been worse than mine.

Sounds like an adventure for sure.