Default Opening 602 Seal Bolts

Whats the easiest/best way to break open the seal bolts on a 602? Only looking to do the timing cover and intake. Let me add this 602 is in an imca modified so keeping it sealed does not matter. I just want to upgrade the cam, lifters and valve train. Thanks.
    Last edited by ask0329; 11-01-2012 at 10:58 AM.

You could also use a dremel tool to slice a notch in the head. Then just use a power screw driver/drill to loosen it up.

Weld a nut on top of the bolt and bring it out with a ratchet.

If you get the smallest set of 90* Channellox pliers and sharpen the teeth with a good file, you can take them loose easily by hand. The timing cover bolts have about 8-10ft/# on them and the intakes have 10-12ft/# on them. If you are real good you won't even booger them and you can put them right back in.

You can still purchase 2oz tubes of GM grey silicone if you want to go back with the real stuff...If you have never done it you will probably break the timing cover unless you loosen the oil pan at the same time and then you will need to get them seal bolts off also but they are just as easy.

Best go ahead and take of the oil pan, buy a new gasket and then you won't have the tell tale signs of messing with the engine which is leaky front seal on the pan.

Last I checked IMCA was going to require sealed engines to stay sealed for 2013. May be wrong but that is what I was told. Maybe someone else can chime in and verify the rules on crates for 2013.

Well Moron, I did read the post and it says IMCA Mod.
    Been posting to Speed talk any or has your suspension not been lifted yet?
    Glad to see you are still a "Stupidstar"

Quote Originally Posted by dynoman14 View Post
    Well Moron, I did read the post and it says IMCA Mod.
    Been posting to Speed talk any or has your suspension not been lifted yet?
    Glad to see you are still a "Stupidstar"
    Was that you posting as Raceman 14, Dynoman? I saw a thread where you had tried to get Kaase to hire you for marketing help because "the sizzle sells better than the steak". Very revealing, good read, full of entertainment and tall tales.

Found it in the general discussion section under "need help building addition vs. taxes". Off topic o.p, sorry.

IMCA only run a sealed 602 in the Sport Modified division...No sealed 602 crates in Modifieds...

I know they are running crates as an oppition next year in the open class you can run a spoiler and less wt if your running the crate engine. this is what a local promoter told me 3 weeks ago. but that may change in different areas of the country. also the imca crate will have an imca stamp or casting. if it we're me I woud hold off until imca puts it in writing before spending too much money on this up grade

IMCA is allowing the 604 crate engine for use in the Modified division this year. You get a weight break, spoiler and it cannot be claimed. I have a 602 in my IMCA Modified and there are no provisions for it. So basicaly I can do whatever I want to it. I'm looking to break the seal bolts as I want to put a bigger cam, new lifters and new valve spints in it Just to get a little more power and rpms out of it. Not allot, just a little. I have already contacted IMCA regarding the 602's and they said there is currently no provisions for it in the Mod class. Just for the 604's. I can run a "legal" 602 all day but cannot get a weight break or spoiler. So my option is to break it open and start adding to it and make it a stronger race motor. I thank everyone for their time and opinions.

You can run the 602 in an IMCA A Mod. Nothing in the rules against it, and nothing in the motor thats not legal. Just the fact that anyone who runs one is gonna be way down on power compared to the rest of the field.

Some tracks, the lack of power isn't necessarily a bad thing. His home track is usually a skating rink, so he really isn't giving much up as far as power goes.

250 horse down, no spoiler, and STILL have steel heads instead of aluminum like 604 = no thank you...

I can build close to the same downforce as a 3" spoiler with a large roof. Steel heads VS Aluminum I wouldn't be worried about them being lighter, we don't run 60% rear anymore.
    Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not.

Some guys do, most don't. There is more to it than just the big roof itself. It's positioning and such.
    Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not.

Did you ever get a modified or are you sticking to the stock cars.

Smart. I think you could probably build a modified though, you're pretty crafty. Did Dynoman ever send you some oil filters?