Default New to Late Models

i have been running a street stock car since 04 and i have decided to move into crates next season i know a little about the late models but my main question is should i buy a brand new chassis or just get one from one of the late model guys selling theirs. Any suggestions or tips would be gratelly appricated.

Thanks Jeff

It all depends on how heavy your wallet is I guess...

go help a late model team.

A sensible thing to do would be to buy a good, used late model from a guy at your local track. Build a relationship with him and then he'll work with you when you need help on your car when you run into a setup situation. I think that'd be a good way to go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by latemodel86 View Post
    A sensible thing to do would be to buy a good, used late model from a guy at your local track. Build a relationship with him and then he'll work with you when you need help on your car when you run into a setup situation. I think that'd be a good way to go about it.
    I agree. Don't waste a year just working on someones car. You will want to be in the seat.

It really depends on how much you want to spend, and how much of the repair work you are going to do yourself. If you are going to do all the crash damage repair yourself and not hire anything out, then go with something that seems to be working in your area. Try and buy something you have seen run. I have been very happy with my older Warrior.

If you have a lot of money and plan on sending it to the builder to get updates, crash damaged fixed, and you are going to pay someone else to do all the "big" work. Then I would look for a used chassis from a builder close to you. For me it would have been Barry Wright.

There really is no right answer to your questions, just varying shades of grey. Tips for buying a used chassis.
    1: Try and see it run, or buy a car you are familiar with
    2: Look at the bumpers, door bars, shock mounts, radiator supports, any bracket for body braces. These will have been rewelded many times and repaired. This will give you an idea of the work and maintenance that is being done on the car.
    3: Get the chassis number and call the builder. Make sure it is what the seller says it is. Also find out if it is a DOM or a Moly car. Because there are Moly cars out there.
    4: Also ask the builder what the Jbar/4 link/Front end should look like. To verify that things haven't been changed by someone after a crash.
    Crew Chief "Tip of the day":
    Most handling problems can be solved by adjusting the screw-ball. It can be difficult to fine tune at times. Explaining yourself loudly and striking it on top of the helmet with a dead blow hammer usually works well.

Quote Originally Posted by joedoozer View Post
    I agree. Don't waste a year just working on someones car. You will want to be in the seat.

It really depends on how much you want to spend, and how much of the repair work you are going to do yourself. If you are going to do all the crash damage repair yourself and not hire anything out, then go with something that seems to be working in your area. Try and buy something you have seen run. I have been very happy with my older Warrior.

If you have a lot of money and plan on sending it to the builder to get updates, crash damaged fixed, and you are going to pay someone else to do all the "big" work. Then I would look for a used chassis from a builder close to you. For me it would have been Barry Wright.

There really is no right answer to your questions, just varying shades of grey. Tips for buying a used chassis.
    2: Look at the bumpers, door bars, shock mounts, radiator supports, any bracket for body braces. These will have been rewelded many times and repaired. This will give you an idea of the work and maintenance that is being done on the car.
    3: Get the chassis number and call the builder. Make sure it is what the seller says it is. Also find out if it is a DOM or a Moly car. Because there are Moly cars out there.
    4: Also ask the builder what the Jbar/4 link/Front end should look like. To verify that things haven't been changed by someone after a crash.
    very good info right here...

Quote Originally Posted by joedoozer View Post

Thanks for the help i talked to one of the latemodel drivers and im leaning toward buying his chassis as a roller after the season for 10k (Masterbuilt) just need motor and transmission going to send it to get checked by Masterbuilt also