Default black residue on dip stick

I have been noticing black residue on the crank side of my dip stick and nothing on the other side of the stick, i have been using the valvoline race oil. I recently ran out and bought some brad penn oil and now the black residue is not showing up on the dip stick. I wounder if that valvoline oil is what was causing this residue? Last year when i freshened the motor it had a layer of black crap in the bottom of the oil pan; You think its the oil?

We stopped using Valvoline oil years ago, the oil always smelled burnt after one night of racing and looked dark. Oil pressure always dropped very low on idle after a race. Switched to Brad Penn and all problems with burnt smelling oil and pressure problems went away. Nothing else was changed just oil. Hope this opinion helps.

Mike
    26 Owner Driver

Mike is right...Valvojunk oil breaks down quick. Brad Penn is good oil for the money and if you want better for a little more money, get Shaeffers Supreme Racing 7000(20-50) many top notch LM guys are using Shaeffers. They also sell a Supreme Racing 9000. Auburn, IL NAPA store sells it by the case. Call NAPA Don, he'll hook ya up!

Quote Originally Posted by ToddSmith16 View Post
    Mike is right...Valvojunk oil breaks down quick. Brad Penn is good oil for the money and if you want better for a little more money, get Shaeffers Supreme Racing 7000(20-50) many top notch LM guys are using Shaeffers. They also sell a Supreme Racing 9000. Auburn, IL NAPA store sells it by the case. Call NAPA Don, he'll hook ya up!
    Yup the 7000 is good stuff, the motor Im running now was run on 20/50 by the previous owner and I stuck with the same weight to be safe. My other motor runs Gibbs XP3 (10/30).
    »»*†HÀ†§ HÓ††™««

Had the same exp with Valvoline and also castrol Both the burnt smell and residue went to Amsoil
    my daughter my sailor my hero the next greatest generation is our men and women now in harms way Pray for them

Schaeffer is as good or better than amsoil IMO but half the cost or less

I run Schaeffer 10 nites usually and it's still just as green and clear as when I put it in also. I am not running a latemodel but have a 9 quart pan on an unlimited 2 bbl motor.

Brad penn and Schaeffer are both parrafin (sp?) crude based oils I believe and both can handle higher temps than reg petroleum based oils
    Last edited by gun91; 07-19-2012 at 11:50 PM.

www.blackstone-labs.com

Send them a sample of it. They will tell you a whole bunch. I pre-pay them for 6 samples at $19/sample and have sent them a sample almost every oil change this season. Everything looks good and they analyze it for you. Lots of detail and info. They can even tell you if the oil is breaking or broken down.