Default Winters pinion gear help

I have a warrior race car with a winters rear end in it and I don't know what pinion gear it has in it. I am told that there is a way to figure this out without taking the rear end apart. Any help figuring this out would be appreciated. I was told that it most likely has a 4:86 in it but I just want to be sure.

Use the search on here there is a way to do it by counting the rotations of the pinion gear and the no of turns you turn the hubs I am pretty sure I found it on here my sons warrior had a 486

Quote Originally Posted by RW57 View Post
    Use the search on here there is a way to do it by counting the rotations of the pinion gear and the no of turns you turn the hubs I am pretty sure I found it on here my sons warrior had a 486

Mark the drive shaft and the somewhere on the rear end (line them up). Turn one of the hubs and count how many times the lines pass each other. If the drive shaft goes past the half way mark and almost comes to a full 5 turns then it's a 4.86. If it just passes the mark on the 4th turn it's probably a 4.11.

Directly from the Winter's catalog: Important: Shut Off Power 1. Elevate car 2. Remove quick change gears 3. Chalk mark the tire at 12 o’clock position 4. Chalk mark the pinion at 12 o’clock position 5. Rotate tire one complete revolution 6. Count pinion revolution as tire is rotated. Just past 4 revolutions= 4.12 4 1/2 revolutions= 4.57 Almost 5 revolutions= 4.86
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BigBlueFord; 07-26-2012 at 05:59 PM.
    Crewchief #21 Modified Hansen Motorsports 2014 GRT by Phillips IMCA Modified