Default PLEASE HELP Problems with Idler Gear Engaging Flywheel

Having problem with idler gear not engaging far enough on the flywheel. Have tried to shim the flywheel out, but still no luck. Idler gear only comes out so far to barely get on the flywheel. Occasionally does not engage and bumps the edge of the flywheel.

Got Chevy Crate motor with Bert bellhousing

Are you talking about a Bert reverse bellhousing? There is a grease fitting in behind the starter, if you do not grease it the idler will hang up.

Default Thanks but it did not work!

yes i am talking about a Bert bellhousing. do you know if you have to run a specific model # Bert bell housing with a crate engine? We are having a problem with the idler gear lining up with the flywheel. i have tried to use some shims, but no luck. got worried that everything would not line up correctly if i used more than 2 shims. ordered new idler gear & new idler gear shaft (thought shaft might have been bent) - but sadly this did not help.... not sure what else to do. checked parts catalog for Bert bellhousings but the part # for the one i have is not listed (it is magnesium) Does anybody have any ideas i can try? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

we had the same thing happen we put new idler gear starter and it ended up being the fly wheel the teeth were rounded off a little to much and put a new one on an she works like a champ

Default last week

We tried a different used flywheel last week and it did not make a difference. Just trying to get the car going for the remainder of the year. I am dying to go racing!! Its been a while and i am having withdrawals. Got any other ideas?

Ok lets take it from the beginning.

are you using Bert flywheel and Bert bell housing?------you cannot mix flywheels and bellhousings

did you check clearence between idler and flywheel AFTER the starter was installed?

does the starter drive have a light outward spring pressure?

is the idler free spinning and have easy movement forward on the shaft?

can you engage the idler by hand?

check those things and if all checks out---change the starter

we have found penetrating oil to work better than grease on the idler but you have to spray it every race

Brad

brad hibbard
    Ok lets take it from the beginning.

are you using Bert flywheel and Bert bell housing?------you cannot mix flywheels and bellhousings **yes, it is a Bert Chevy Crate Flywheel**

did you check clearence between idler and flywheel AFTER the starter was installed? **yes, because i tried adding shims then**

does the starter drive have a light outward spring pressure? **yes**

is the idler free spinning and have easy movement forward on the shaft? **yes, i put all new parts in the bellhousing including the hidden grease fitting someone else suggested**

can you engage the idler by hand? **no, there is my problem, it trys to engage, but the mesh is too tight**

the part # on my Bert bellhousing is a 305 magnesium - i have not been able to find that part # anywhere else in the parts manuals. i have tried emailing Bert, but they have not responded. i am not sure if it is an older part # but it is NOT the 301C like i see listed in so many of the parts manuals i look in (but it looks the same as the pictures of the 301C)

thanks so much for taking the time to try to help me & answer my questions!

u think the plate the idler are mounted might be bent cousing it to not line up