Thread: Piston Question

Question Piston Question

I was wondering if anybody has used the ICON forged pistons, and how it worked out for you, good or bad???

We have them in a 351w ford and so far so good

What's keeping me away from them is the piston weight.

Used some in a 305 sprint motor looked ok , had used Mahle before but had a 10 week wait . They are flat top and weighed close to Mahle.

I have used them in a 350" limited Dart head engine making about 550HP 12:1 flat top. 2 seasons and no problems.

I have them in a 391" 15:1 steel block alum head limited late model, makes 650ft# and 625HP and runs about 7500rpms. 2 seasons on it no problems.

As far as weight, I consider durability more than saving 50 grams here and there. Whatever weight you save on the pistons you will have to put back into the crank in mallory in most cases. If your goal is and ultra-light assembly, I would concentrate on a LW pin and rods and not compromise on piston weight as much. It is critical for me that pistons last thru customer problems like too much timing, too hot for the last 10 laps, changing gas and leaning out the mix too much, changing spark plugs and throwing off combustion timing 5-10*.

All of these are common happening and even the best racers let them happen. I like to have another 100 grams in the piston to take that beating rather than burning up. I have never seen piston weight make enough difference on the chassis dyno to use them unless engine was a "build it to the gills" all out engine that was a 10 race and rebuild special.

piston weight is the most important thing you can lighten in your rotating assembly. its easier on the rods, crank, mains ect. as long as its a good quality l/w piston (je, mahle,cp ect)you should have no worries about durability.