Thread: Gear question

Default Gear question

i BOUGHT A MUSTANG MINI STOCK IM WANTING TO RUN A 3/8 MILE TRACK IT HAS A 2.14 2ND GEAR AND A 3.45 REAR GEAR. IT HAS 13IN RACING TIRES ON IT NOW THE CLASS I WANT TO RUN. RULES SAY DOT TIRES I WOULD LIKE TO SWITCH TO 14IN SO I GUESS MY ????? IS WILL A 2.14 2ND GEAR& A3.45 REAR WITH 14IN TIRES BE A GOOD STARTING POINT. OR SHOULD I MOVE REAR GEAR TO A 3.55 MOTOR HAS DECENT HP.????? also what would be a good starting point on wheel spacing all help is greatly appeciated

Quote Originally Posted by cori00 View Post
    i BOUGHT A MUSTANG MINI STOCK IM WANTING TO RUN A 3/8 MILE TRACK IT HAS A 2.14 2ND GEAR AND A 3.45 REAR GEAR. IT HAS 13IN RACING TIRES ON IT NOW THE CLASS I WANT TO RUN. RULES SAY DOT TIRES I WOULD LIKE TO SWITCH TO 14IN SO I GUESS MY ????? IS WILL A 2.14 2ND GEAR& A3.45 REAR WITH 14IN TIRES BE A GOOD STARTING POINT. OR SHOULD I MOVE REAR GEAR TO A 3.55 MOTOR HAS DECENT HP.????? also what would be a good starting point on wheel spacing all help is greatly appeciated
    Your gearing should work on a 3/8 track...with taller 14" tires IMO. All depends on how many RPMs you want to turn it.

Default Gear question

Thanks dirtman29 the guy I bought car from said engine stops making horse power around 6600to6700rpm

I'm assuming you are running asphalt.A 14in. tire with a run out of around 77in. will put you around 8000 rpm going into the turns.I do not understand why a 2.3 would stop pulling at 6700 unless it was bone stock with a stock cam.Any 2.3 with the head milled .100 or more,a moderate cam and GOOD valve springs will pull to 8000 easy!

Quote Originally Posted by cori00 View Post
    Thanks dirtman29 the guy I bought car from said engine stops making horse power around 6600to6700rpm
    If it stops @ 6700, its not a decent HP engine. Unless it has an adj. cam gear that is set way off! Or like milford said, its a totally bone stock engine. With your current setup, you will be floating valves halfway down the straights.

Gear is the vital part of vehicle to get into speed. Especially when it is a case of sports car gear is meant for maintaining all its thrust. Similar to its structure like teeth it holds on like cog and transmits the torque.