Cool Shock travel on a smack

How much RF shock travel should there be on a Mastersbilt Smack with the s7 frontend on a tacky track?

Car is handling good. track has one good hoop dee do in the groove and we are bouncing the nose of the track. We have 4 1/2". Ohlins, rf 375 rr225 lr225 lf 425. We are actually dragging in both corners.

Valence is cut to nothing on the right side we are dragging the bumper.

I know the easy answer is springs but car is great except for dragging the nose.
    Last edited by BTDT; 08-04-2012 at 10:10 PM.

How high is the right corner of the nose off the ground when the car is static. You'll want about 12 inches to keep the nose from dragging. On our smack car, we have to bend the right side of the bumper up a little to get to 12 inches.

Cool

Thanks Matt,

You don't think 4 1/2" is too much? I am almost sure we do not have 12" static. Opinions differ in our shop but all agree the car is too good to get out the chain saw we are sticking to the scalpel for the moment!

I'm running a Smackdown car with the S7 frontend and same rate spring with an all cast motor. I have approx 11" of static nose clearance and don't have a problem digging the nose. We had to put a new bumper on about a month ago after an accident. We ordered it from Allstar and they have changed their design and now build them with more rake. I still heated up the right side and bent it more with the jack. Now the right side frame rail will sometimes hit before the nose digs.

Also, the shock travel you're seeing is probably giving a false reading because of the hoop de doo you're referring to.

Like Huck, I'm taking the 4.5 inches of shock travel with a grain of salt since you apparently have a real rough spot in your race track. That is not a true indication of where that RF is at true racing attitude in the corners.
    If the rough spot in your track is just in one corner, try completely dodging that hole in hot laps (even if it means running a slower line) and running your normal line in the other corner. This should provide you with a more usable shock travel indicator reading.