Default Exhaust manifold glowing red

I run a mustang ministock, 2300 with a stock exhaust manifold (per track rules). I am having a problem with the exhaust manifold glowing bright red after a short amount of time. Ignition timing is only 38 degrees according to an MSD timing light and car is not lean as we check plugs and adjust jets accordingly all day and night. Looking for any input on possible problems.

Timing issue maybe..check to make sure your TDC is true or it is too rich...not lean...Common sense, if it was close to being lean enough to generate enough heat to glow cast iron exhaust, don't you think your ALUMINUM pistons would be globs of aluminum?

Sounds to me like the carb is running rich and you are burning fuel in the manifold cj

38 may be to much timing.I never go over 36.I would test it at 34,if glow goes away you have found your problem.If not then you will know you need to look some where else.

Thanks for the input, I will look into these things. I will check timing with another timing gun and try less timing to see if problem goes away.

And as noted above in one contributor, check your TDC mark on the front pulley with a piston-stop screwed into #1 cylinder plug hole. Don't be surprised if the mark is in error. I've seen them off by as much as 7 degrees. -Dave-

Default My Vote

I'm with Dave on the timing.Unusually glowing exhaust is usually not enough timing,although if it's dark enough and you run hard enough they all glow some.

Default Retarded Question

Racedad is correct . Retarded timing is what usually makes exhaust glow red. And if 84 Dave is correct about the timing marks being wrong...... taking timing lower will increase the concern.
    Do like he says and check your marks. If they are off the belt could be off a tooth also.

Check for vaccum leaks, intake-carb

Thanks for input I am going to check carb, intake and all timing marks tomorrow.

I discovered timing was moving around. Changed distributor module which fixed problem and car ran great. I was top 3 car and motor was pulling great for a while and then car lost its pull off corners and I struggled to keep up with 12th place car. Brought car home and discovered timing was moving around again. Seems I burnt up distributor module during day. This has been common problem with my car. Looking for ideas why I would keep losing distributor modules.

If you're running a tfi distributor you might try running some cool air to the tfi module, they tend to run really hot and burn up......I would do the same if running a duraspark setup.....

Bad grounds increase amperage draw and will kill ignitions.

Default Don't use an aftermarket module

Make sure you are using a MOTORCRAFT module .

I normally use an aftermarket module but had same thoughts about trying to use a MOTORCRAFT. Trying to get my hands on one now

make sure your timing is right, and what fuel are you using? what's your compression?
    Outlaw #8
    22R Celica GT
    www.outlawcar.com