Default winters crate rearends

whats your thoughts on the bert 2nd gen tranmissions a the 8 inch winter crate quick changes?? do they help that much on restarts and off the corners

I have heard the trans is a noticable difference.The rear is not noticable enough for the price.Just a few opinions i've heard.

I have never been one to think racing was supposed to be cheap, even a crate late model, but spending that much on a rear end that can not move up a class to me is throwing money out the window. What would happen is someone saw you and decided that they had a limited motor and wanted to sponsor you..... You buy a new rear end or have to pass. We raced and won a lot of races against limiteds and crates running a crate with a ballspline and a regular Winters. Money for shocks, rear ends, transmissions, wheels, safety equipment etc... is high enough but spending money on an item that can not move up a class that only provides minimal gains is a waste.

My testing has resulted with bigger gains in the lubricants, oiling and the bearing set-up than what brand of quick change.

Granted a smaller ring gear will reduce parasitic drag and friction HP but that is in the 1% savings range. Lubes, Bearings and how you lube your rear is in the 2-3% range.

That is about a 300% improvement over just swapping rear ends out.

If you have already done all you can to maximize HP and reduce drag and parasitic losses everywhere else I would say the swap would be worth it.

I have seen water pumps, belt and pulley systems make +5% in HP for about $1500; is it worth it ??? Only if you need the last 15hp out of your combination.

Quote Originally Posted by dynoman14 View Post
    Granted a smaller ring gear will reduce parasitic drag and friction HP but that is in the 1% savings range.
    You get more gain from a lower moment of inertia than parasitic drag on a smaller ring gear. Frictional surface of contact is not that much different when you look at the contact area of the 2 gear sets and bearings.
    As for the water pump that is laughable, the only thing that the engine drives that creates horsepower is a blower. You can put on a pump that uses 5hp less than another pump but it will NEVER cause the engine to gain power.
    Last edited by Egoracing; 08-14-2012 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Egoracing View Post
    I have never been one to think racing was supposed to be cheap, even a crate late model, but spending that much on a rear end that can not move up a class to me is throwing money out the window. What would happen is someone saw you and decided that they had a limited motor and wanted to sponsor you..... You buy a new rear end or have to pass. We raced and won a lot of races against limiteds and crates running a crate with a ballspline and a regular Winters. Money for shocks, rear ends, transmissions, wheels, safety equipment etc... is high enough but spending money on an item that can not move up a class that only provides minimal gains is a waste.

I definitely agree with you racing is not cheap one bit. I do have question though you say that if you buy a rearend to run crates which I will be doing next season my ultimate goal is to be running with the supers in a few more years. Which rearend would you recommend owning knowing I want to move up I did not know there was a difference in them other than who made them.

call winters and they may have something else for you

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jeff89 View Post
    I definitely agree with you racing is not cheap one bit. I do have question though you say that if you buy a rearend to run crates which I will be doing next season my ultimate goal is to be running with the supers in a few more years. Which rearend would you recommend owning knowing I want to move up I did not know there was a difference in them other than who made them.
    Several of the "Crate" rears are an 8 inch ring gear and can only hold about 450-500hp. I would look at a full sized Frankland, Bulldog, Winters, or Tiger rear that you can use when you move up.

Winters also offers a 8 in ring gear option for a full size 10 in rearend. I purchased a new one last year and that is what I bought, I believe at the time it was a $300 upgrade. You still use standard size everything to bolt to the rear. It's 4lbs less rotating weight and compared to some of the guys i have run with, i usually run .20 to .30 points less gear(5.96 vs 6.20) and still get the same rpm's. Which means more speed down the straight to me. I don't remember it being a HP limited deal, still call and ask though. I believe the 8 in option would go in any standard winters rear, so if you already have a standard one you might just try to get the center unit and install. I'm not experienced enough to really say about any advantages on the track, but on paper it makes sense and talking to Winters they can explain it well also. Hope this helps.