Default need some 602 info

we are allowed to run the 602 in a street stock car next year. the current rules allow you to build an engine that will make about 400hp ( atleast one engine builders dyno says) flat top 360, no roller cam, roller rockers allowed, oem heads,holley gauge legal 2 barrel,performer intake) the 602 can run a 4 barrel. tracks range from a tacky banked 1/4 mile to a dry paper clip 1/2 mile. can the crate be a competitive option in this class? how many rpm's can it run reliably, currently turn about 7100 in a built motor.

The paperwork from GM only recommends 5700 max. We run them here in Late Models with a mandatory 6000 MSD rev chip and they seem to last forever with only valve spring changes a couple times a season. Five to six 20 race seasons is not unheard of.

You can turn them 6200 no problem.
    Change valve springs, locks, and retainers every 300 laps.
    Use good synthetic oil and change it every 300 laps with a fresh filter every 150.

For the average racer and beginner a 602 might be a good alternative. It is low maintenance and low cost as well as probably lower power than a good built engine by your specs listed.

I think they would have a slight advantage off the corner with bottom end but they are not real strong on the top end unless you really work on them on the dyno to get them better.

If you already have a built engine running a 4412 carb I would spend some money and go dyno test it and see where you are. Once you are done compare it to the HP Graph online for GM602. It is pretty accurate.

As an engine builder I would pick the built engine, but then again I am not sure what you guys spend on your built engine, that closely resembles our street stock division rules and those engines with good parts, dyno tested and complete WP,Carb, Belts, Pulleys, Dizzy and wires run about $5500-$7500. Most I have seen are over 400HP on both DTS and Superflow Dyno's.

I'm surprised that Mark isn't pushing his special stock valve springs, custom tuned Willys carburetors, alien oil and filters that nobody has, spark plugs that are from Mars, to get you to around 450 Rear Wheel HP!! Ask him, he can make that for you legally!
    Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not.

the 602 is a good reliable motor.....i agree with dynoman that the 602 has a good bottom torquecurve....if you get the carb and ignition right...it has run well in the crate class in wv and beat the pants off some 604 s ..the tracks up here are around 3/8's ....he is also right that the built motor will come on at the end... our 602 has turned 6300 to 6400 but you have to keep up on the valve spring maintenece...if your built motor is relatively the same cost as a new 602 stay with the built one.....or if 602 is alot cheaper and you are on a tight budget...the 602 could be competitive...set up will be more important

the avg. motor in this class is a little over 5 grand and a few with over 8000, i'd like to try one just to prove it can be competitive, but dont want to end up with a boat anchor. I'm betting i could slip some better valve springs by them.

Just so you know the guy that owned that car is named Tim McKeehan / Dink21 and he worked with me for 2 weeks on and off on the Chassis Dyno to get to this point. He went out to Winder Speedway and won his next 2 races in the car after running about 20 there with only top 5's and 10's.
    He sold the car about a month later to a rookie racer in WVa that won 13 out of 20 races and the Rookie Championship with it.

I guess all of you haters might need to pick up a physics book ( if u can read ) to see how it might be possible to make more torque at the rear wheels than the engine can generates on the engine dyno... here is a hint it is called torque multiplication.

Also, the HP and TQ numbers at the rear wheels are not supposed to be a linear translation to the torque curve generated by the engine dyno. If you have a real chassis dyno and not a toy that generates the same curve for every application, you will see how differing gear ratios, tire diameters and MOI ( moments of inertia ), can influence HP, TQ and Acceleration rates.

You might wonder why certain crate cars take the lead on the start of a race and never get passed again??? There is not match or substitute for initial acceleration as you have to use it twice every lap.

Stock car driver since you are such a hero why don't you tell us about your acceleration testing on your many chassis dyno runs...

Dude you need mental help.
    Curious that we spend more time congratulating people who have succeeded than encouraging people who have not.

Quote Originally Posted by dynoman14 View Post
    I guess all of you haters might need to pick up a physics book ( if u can read ) to see how it might be possible to make more torque at the rear wheels than the engine can generates on the engine dyno... here is a hint it is called torque multiplication.
    This has to be the stupidest thing you've ever said (And you've said quite a few close to this)

Quote Originally Posted by dynoman14 View Post
    You might wonder why certain crate cars take the lead on the start of a race and never get passed again??? There is not match or substitute for initial acceleration as you have to use it twice every lap.
    This one needs to go into the record books as well.

Do I ever wonder why? No, normally those cars winning have little to do with a bunch of your fake BS and more to do with a setup that works. If you're still trying to "accelerate" in circle track racing you are about 5 years behind the times Mark. We know where your head is at and it isn't in the "hopper"

stock car driver,

I'll donate a disposable camera to the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    Disposable? Heck Ill send the guy a brand new kodak easy share right off amazon with a memory card.
    Actually, why not a camcorder? That way he can give us a shop tour!

now that you guys are asking dynoman for pics you know he wont show up again for another 3 weeks to spam the site. probably for the best as i've been told he's whipping up some proprietary lube for santa sleigh skis. pics will be up after the first of the year im sure...

Those videos you have are clear Jeff, I didn't know that camera had that capability. Perfect, let's see if we can get his address so you can get him one. He can take detailed photos and make videos. It would take his customer base from two guys on 4m to possibly 4!

He just keeps opening the mouth and inserting foot...HP reading at the RW can be higher than an engine dyno.....LOL If that the case we should all get on a chassis dyno and put your car in 1st gear to get all that tq multiplication through the gears and we could all see 800 ft lbs of tq...LOL

Default 602 vs open motor

This is no lie and I've got the trophies and videos to back it up. In street stocks We ran our 355hp 602 crate engine against 500hp street stocks without a weight break and won on a 4/10 track very respectfully against great cars. 602 has nasty torque at lower rpm. They say don't turn them no more than 6000 but we turned ours 6400-6500 every week for 2 seasons and never had any problems