Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E-85 or 112

Default E-85 or 112

I been mulling over making a switch to E-85 from race gas, wondering what others have noticed and some pros and cons.

I know cost is a big one but performance is my main goal...

Also wondering how much more consumption they saw from the switch.

Running a 360 2bbl class around 12.5-13:1 compression...

-Danny
    »»*†HÀ†§ HÓ††™««

you'll use about 30% more fuel. you'll make quite a bit more torque and also gain a little hp. we picked up 20 lbs/ft or so and just under 10hp. motor will also run very cool. you'll most likely need a smaller radiator/fan and a t-stat to get it up to temp.

What Stockcar5 said, and it'll be more responsive than gas if it's right. It works well if you've got the right parts and check or blend your fuel. Most of the "problems" you hear about are from people that cut corners with the fuel system, try to use a backyard build or "conversion kit" on the carb, don't check their fuel, or work for a fuel distributor that doesn't sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by DANNY View Post
    I been mulling over making a switch to E-85 from race gas, wondering what others have noticed and some pros and cons.

I know cost is a big one but performance is my main goal...

Also wondering how much more consumption they saw from the switch.

Running a 360 2bbl class around 12.5-13:1 compression...

-Danny
    There is a price difference of about 2 dollars per gallon , but the biggest difference is in quality and performance . E-85 from the pump is ethanol blended with 87 octane . It's designed for street cars that have 8.5 compression and computers to compensate for different blends . The blend changes every season , in summer it will have more ethanol , in cooler months it will have more gasoline . To a computer controlled engine that doesn't make much difference , but for a race engine , it's hard to get a consistent result . You just need to stay on top of checking every batch of fuel you buy .
    Your fuel mileage will suffer by between 32% and 38% ( more ethanol in the blend will give you less mileage ) so longer races may be a problem without adding a larger fuel cell .
    Everything in the fuel system will have to changed , ethanol is not compatible with most fuel system components like cells , lines , pumps , carbs .
    Race gas ( a good one ) will give you better throttle response , better power . E-85 makes more torque . Some race fuel companies like Renegade offer racing E-85 , it's exactly the same blend each time so it's a lot easier to tune with .

Humm sounds fun, Ill have to check if where I get my racing fuel has a racing 112 too. I know the cooler running would be good since its 110* today lol
    »»*†HÀ†§ HÓ††™««

been considering the switch aswell. i understand about having to change the lines, pumps etc, but what about the fuel cell? right now i have a jazz with #8 fittings. is this going to restrict the volume needed?

is there a max compression that can be ran with E85 and how much cooler will it make your motor run.

Quote Originally Posted by newguy View Post
    been considering the switch aswell. i understand about having to change the lines, pumps etc, but what about the fuel cell? right now i have a jazz with #8 fittings. is this going to restrict the volume needed?
    Cell and everything associated with it needs to be alcohol compatible . And the best way to know for sure is to contact each of the manufacturers directly and ask them .

if its a standard circle track cell you will be fine. they are alky compatible. also if you run any name brand race hose those are also alky compatible. when i switched all i needed to change was carb and pump.

Quote Originally Posted by stockcar5 View Post
    if its a standard circle track cell you will be fine. they are alky compatible. also if you run any name brand race hose those are also alky compatible. when i switched all i needed to change was carb and pump.
    My car is a little older (2003 terminator) though I believe its an RCI cell. Also the line is the blue...

What kind of pump do I need? I run a carter right now...

Carb(s) are goin to JDR this winter! Ty for the info, we spoke for 45 mins monday, John is awesome!!!

Found the main supplier of E 85 here in vegas they blend in house and it stays the same summer and winter... Ill still check it each time though.
    Last edited by DANNY; 08-15-2012 at 03:30 PM.
    »»*†HÀ†§ HÓ††™««

CV Products makes a few nice billet block mounted pumps that would work for you...

Ty bud I'll look into it
    »»*†HÀ†§ HÓ††™««

Quote Originally Posted by rcstreet1 View Post
    is there a max compression that can be ran with E85 and how much cooler will it make your motor run.
    Curious about this as well, is there a limit on compression ratio that can be used with E-85?

it depend on what kind of e85 you have. the 15% gas makes a big difference. if you mix your own e85 and use race fuel you can get away with more compression. the gas used to mix at the pumps is junk..rated less than 87 octane. i mixed my own with premium 93 octane and got away with 13 to 1 with a 2bbl carb. i was told thats the safe limit.

it depend on what kind of e85 you have. the 15% gas makes a big difference. if you mix your own e85 and use race fuel you can get away with more compression. the gas used to mix at the pumps is junk..rated less than 87 octane. i mixed my own with premium 93 octane and got away with 13 to 1 with a 2bbl carb. i was told thats the safe limit.
    Thats true, I was told that blending my own was best as well. Take E 98 and either cut it with race fuel/gas mixture or if I can get 93 or 100 octane would be best...

However they told me here they use 87 to blend... Just what I was told... Sounded like I put him on the spot cus he was jumpy when I began to ask all the tech questions about it process ect...

Im still waiting on an email on price quotes for E 98 barrels...
    »»*†HÀ†§ HÓ††™««

Thanks for the reply, but after looking at our rules, I don't believe it is legal. Imagine that, right here in the middle of the corn belt.

You can mix your own fuel! You can mix 20% methanol (not the same as Ethanol) and still fool a gravity gage. results are about the same as E-85 power wise. We saw a 40 degree temp. drop and 20 hp on the dyno.

Default e-85

hi,
    anybody can tell me the details of e-85, please?

Mix methanol wit e85 or gas

.i have run e-85 for years it is 1/2 pound heaver than gas and has 30% oxygen at 3.45 gall around hear. most of your high dollar race gas that has 02 in it only has 3 to 8% o2 in it at 7 to 9.00 a gal. you will see more HP gains in classes that have smaller carb rules. just like running NOS. a 650 carb will only flow so much air on gas but when put on E-85 that 30% more o2. bigger bag for the buck.
    our crate car holds the record on a local chassis dyno with 419 hp and 448 torque on E-85
    and right now are running our 700 hp steel head on E-85

we build our own carbs,and for several teams it does not take as much as you would think to run it. it is not menthenol based. so a carter gas pump is just fine.

the biggest thing is keeping it around 85 to 88% and allowing for the 30% more fuel you will burn.