Default Can you patch a hoosier???

Just got a brand new D40. Ran it one lap and it got punctured about the size of a pencil on the sidewall. Can it be patched or does it need thrown out?

Patch it and put a tube in it, some put baby powder in tire with the tube. Good luck.

you will spin the tube if its in the rear, should only use it on the front imo
    dillonsolumracing.weebly.com

take it to a tire shop that dose big truck tires,..have them put a "boot" in it,..its like a patch with a plug built in to it,..dont see how it couldnt work!

Quote Originally Posted by dirty white boy View Post
    take it to a tire shop that dose big truck tires,..have them put a "boot" in it,..its like a patch with a plug built in to it,..dont see how it couldnt work!

I have done this in the tread area, but, I wouldn't suggest patching or repairing any tire on the sidewall.

Quote Originally Posted by dirttrackrocker View Post
    I have done this in the tread area, but, I wouldn't suggest patching or repairing any tire on the sidewall.
    Agreed. use it with a tube for a front tire if you can.

Sidewalls are bad territory as the tire is thinner and designed differently. I would use it as suggested with a tube but not on a high load area. Maybe the LF if you can and get the others to what you need.

I appreciate all the info. I looked at the tire closely today after washing everything and it is peeled back just a little and then on the inside is a pin size hole. Will prolly patch the inside and out and put a tube in it and see what happens.

I patched a side wall once and after the tire heated up it blew up. It was like watching a NASCAR guy blow a tire and destroy the body work. Dont do it, not worth the head ache.

What he said. There are enough problems that can come up without starting out with one. If nothing else you won't have that to worry about.

We use to stitch ours than patch on the sidewallsbut only used them as spares never hAd any problems.

Cool

take it to a tire shop that recaps truck tires and ask to have the race tire vulcanize on the sidewall. this process melts rubber into the hole in the sidewall and leaves a boot on the inside area the size of dollar bill. you can have them buff down the area so you can either run a tube or tubeless. the repaired area is stronger than the rest of the tire sidewall. I used to do the repairs for years before I retired from the tire business.

ask dirt mod17 x he 's and expert with mod tires

Quote Originally Posted by autoshop View Post
    take it to a tire shop that recaps truck tires and ask to have the race tire vulcanize on the sidewall. this process melts rubber into the hole in the sidewall and leaves a boot on the inside area the size of dollar bill. you can have them buff down the area so you can either run a tube or tubeless. the repaired area is stronger than the rest of the tire sidewall. I used to do the repairs for years before I retired from the tire business.
    thats what i said week or so ago,..itll hold!! seen a many truck tire have this done an run tire with 110lbs of air with loads of 100,000lbs an excess for years,..re cappped an ran bald again...

i think should only use it on the front