Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Drank the Koolaid, now I need some help.....

Okay guys, here's the deal... I drank the koolaid and traded for this late model chassis, and I'm having trouble figuring out who built it. Looks like a Howe in the front, but Howe says it's not one of theirs, so I'm hoping someone can help me out here. Looking to move up if Fairgrounds Speedway Nashville opens again in 2014, so I have some time, but need to get started.

Also, any recommendations as to engine builders? I've read some of Steve Hendren and Brad Hibbard's posts, and was wondering if they build new motors. I've also read some of Dynoman's too....

Crap - photo uploader won't work - all it does is spin !!

You can see the photos here:

http://stockcar.racersreunion.com/fo...some-help-here

We have been using Race-1 engines for 3 years now and are very happy with our engines and with the service and help we recieve from Brad at Race -1

Brad will help you in any way possible and not just with engines he is a great resource for all aspects of crate racing.

Race-1 is also a great place to buy parts other than engine parts, prices are very reasonable, shipping is cheap and fast.

Mike Fink

Evanfinkracing.com

Looks pretty HEAVY!
    I haven't a clue, sorry I can't help.
    Last edited by jedclampit; 08-23-2012 at 08:19 AM.

Looks like a homemade copy of an older Howe asphalt car

Start over

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by docbolton View Post
    Start over
    Too late now Doc....I'm commited...the wife will probably HAVE me commited after I get it built! LOL

this looks like a old klb car

That is an old asphalt car, with Howe copied front. Good luck

Nissan,
    Looks like a decent starter car. Built like a tank and could be a cobbled up KLB, his stuff was nicer than that but if it was wrecked or fabbed on over the last 20 years that is what you have.
    If you even hope to be competitive with it in any division I would at least have a current sportsman clip put on it so that you could at least get a matched front end with spindles, uppers, lowers and all.
    If you are a real hard charger and know what you are doing you could cut 200# of dead weight off of that thing in a day. That rear area is like stone age built. If I was closer I might take it on as an updating project. In many cases I just nip the frame rails ahead of the foot box and behind the dirvers but and go to town. You can have it front and rear clipped in a day and then all the rest of the bars back in on day 2.

Running it as is will require a lot of measuring and plotting to see what you have. I am guess the front is a cross between an ancient Lefthander and Howe.

I guess first thing would be to determine the class you want to run it in and build it back to those rules. You better get a decent engine because that car would really like a little extra steam under the hood.

Need more information...you can pm me to get my e-mail .

I still have 3 Chassis Jigs in the shop, one for my cars, one for CUP cars ( RonnieHopkinsChassis) and one for Port City Race Cars. I can measure and blue-print your spindles and then get you on target with Computerized front end program. Need a lot of measurements to get that done but that is the only way to make the thing run worth a $hit. Lots of taped together graph paper and poster board to model up the front end.

Thumbs up

Thank you for your input gentlemen...I appreciate it.

I know the chassis isn't the most "current" one out there, but it's what I have to work with, so I guess I'll have to dig out some books and do some studying. I also agree that she's pretty heavy...don't know the EXACT weight yet, but we'll figure that out when the season is over with and winter gets here.

Dynoman, I can guarantee you that there will be MORE than 200lbs off this thing when I get done...what you see is what we unloaded off the trailer...these boys are gonna be working overtime running a sawsall real soon...

Default omg

and what class will this be raced in? dirt?......i havent seen one of these in 25 years......i cant say who made it originally,cuzz several people copied the howe look up front........but if i took a stab in the dark,id say it came from winton salem NC in the very early 80,s..in a brief time in history when several dirt cars were also asphalt cars...and i have retro fitted cars like these b4.....its not for a begginer builder though.....

well lets dont use the word obvious.the distance from the front wheels to the radiator protection bar says pre 1982......no modern body will even fit over it.....the "hi"short frame section over the rear axel says pre 1982.....and the full face hre front hubs are pre 1982....the front sway bar mounts using a stock sway bar is early.....the heavier "webbed" howe control arms are of the first horse shoe design from the 70s......(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)pits on the pre 1982 dirt cars were exacly like tha asphalt cousins....cuzzz,...3 link dirt chassis and 3 link asphalt chassis were the same for a few years minus the pull bar......so it is very possible this is a 1980 hodge podge......i bet if you watch the movie six pack you can find one..........but i agree,ditch this thing......u would have less money in a late 90s rocket or grt car and could actually learn something.y spend 11,000 to run 24th.....when you can spend 9,000 and run 10th.

Default Dillon

Dillon had a similar front cross member in the 80's...

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    That is a pavement car, its more than obvious. I wouldnt consider putting any time into that for dirt track racing. Dirt late model chassis are cheap used.
    I 100% agree. Cut your losses, part it out and get a dirt chassis.

I would not get out of a electric chair to ride to get in that thing..plus finding out the recomended ride heights is going to be difficult plus all before mentioned issues.

Question

Gentlemen, gentlemen, please!! YES - it IS a pavement car....and yes, I plan to run it on pavement. I realize that this is a dirt forum (of sorts), but that doesn't mean I can't glean engine, transmission rearend, and other information from you guys! I mean, c'mon y'all - we're ALL racers here.....aren't we? Besides - I don't ever remember seeing a PAVEMENT forum anywhere on the web, so I'm here trying to learn. Okay?

Now, with that said, my question is this..... what makes you guys think that this chassis CANNOT be competitive, other than the weight thing? I have been getting some things together such as hubs, rotors, calipers, etc, and as far as I can see there is nothing on THIS chassis that I haven't seen on any of the other pavement cars we have at our local tracks. I've been taking pictures too, so I have some kind of idea about what the setup SHOULD look. A lotta stuff has changed since I last worked on any of this stuff - hell, the last "tube chassis" car I had anything to do with was back around 1984 (yeah man - I'm an old dude!!) So, provided we get the weight down and make horsepower and this old car is straight, why won't it go fast and turn left? Please tell me - I'm all ears......

Quote Originally Posted by nissanguy View Post
    Gentlemen, gentlemen, please!! YES - it IS a pavement car....and yes, I plan to run it on pavement. I realize that this is a dirt forum (of sorts), but that doesn't mean I can't glean engine, transmission rearend, and other information from you guys! I mean, c'mon y'all - we're ALL racers here.....aren't we? Besides - I don't ever remember seeing a PAVEMENT forum anywhere on the web, so I'm here trying to learn. Okay?

Now, with that said, my question is this..... what makes you guys think that this chassis CANNOT be competitive, other than the weight thing? I have been getting some things together such as hubs, rotors, calipers, etc, and as far as I can see there is nothing on THIS chassis that I haven't seen on any of the other pavement cars we have at our local tracks. I've been taking pictures too, so I have some kind of idea about what the setup SHOULD look. A lotta stuff has changed since I last worked on any of this stuff - hell, the last "tube chassis" car I had anything to do with was back around 1984 (yeah man - I'm an old dude!!) So, provided we get the weight down and make horsepower and this old car is straight, why won't it go fast and turn left? Please tell me - I'm all ears......
    I would be concerned with the front end geometry. Alot has changed since that car was built/ ran. That firewall forward is everything. Do a lot of research on what is on the car now and what can be up dated. All the pickup points are important.

I run dirt and this is a dirt forum(mainly). But I run asphalt as much or really more than dirt. I run 2 super competitive classes with one car and help many other teams large and small. My last race (Great American Stocks...super stock) paid off mostly in part to Bill Kimmel and his son Will running my pit! I dropped that name to show that I am no newby to blacktop!

I gotta tell ya.....these guys are right! Its not about whether or not it can be fast. I know it can. And to be honest the last late model race at my local track was sparse with good cars. Some was older but not this old! You can fix the geometry and update everything. You can put it on a monster diet and can get the weight down too. Change it all up and make it work.

But there are some stuff that does matter. One is the fact that when you get the weight down it still will be in the wrong places. And weight placement is huge and asphalt. On dirt as I am learning you want the weight higher. Not for asphalt.

Safety is an issue with me as well. It would need to be tested to check the thickness of all the bars. Some places may have rust inside you can't see. Most tracks and sanctioning bodies are calling for large and heavy door plates. That also applies above too. Is your weight reduction gonna allow it to stay safe?

All of this is fixable and like I said before you can be fast. The biggest problem lies in cost. The time and money you will have to spend to do this will far outweigh the price of a used chassis that is new enough to use as is. The headaches and blood, sweat, and tears would be better spent elsewhere.

If you decide to continue I wish ya luck and will help all I can. I am just learning how to setup my mod on dirt and this forum and most in it have helped a TON! But asphalt I know fairly well. PM me or whatever and I will be handy. Have fun whatever you do, Junior Payton.
    Last edited by racer69; 11-21-2012 at 08:04 PM.

Question

Okay - here's a little update...

We scaled the bare chassis, just as it sat in the shop, no engine, trans, rear end or shocks / springs. The chassis weighed in at 1004 lbs just as you all saw it. My question for you guys is this:

Does anybody know what a MODERN late model chassis will weigh in at as a roller with a quick change in it?