Default new vs old 602's

I know this has been chatted about on here. What is the honest hp difference between the old and new version 602's? my current engine is tired, only made 312 on a chassis dyno and has 4 years on the rings and all. Debating wether to rebuild or just buy new. any suggestions??

Quote Originally Posted by zlssefi View Post
    I know this has been chatted about on here. What is the honest hp difference between the old and new version 602's? my current engine is tired, only made 312 on a chassis dyno and has 4 years on the rings and all. Debating wether to rebuild or just buy new. any suggestions??
    HP differences are the last worry for you, if you rebuild the 602 you will be really close to the cost of a new one anyway! I would rebuild the one you have yourself with regular parts, sell the oil pan and other oval track spare parts and sell the engine to someone for a street car and use that money for the new engine.

Default 312 high?

The chassis dyno owner stated he commonly sees 325-340 on his dyno with legal and fresh 602's. He also stated that he has seen 300 be the norm on 602's with 2 barrel carbs and intakes. The engine is just not making the power it once did so its time to do something. Does anyone know what the differnce is in the new vs old version 602's?

You won't see any difference between them as far as HP goes. Some of the internals are different, and these new pieces do not like pump gas.

There were alot of rumors running around about them being up to 25 hp better with lighter internals, but those were just that, rumors.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper60 View Post
    You won't see any difference between them as far as HP goes. Some of the internals are different, and these new pieces do not like pump gas.

There were alot of rumors running around about them being up to 25 hp better with lighter internals, but those were just that, rumors.
    The lighter internals is not rumor. It's printed in black and white in the GMPP crate engine manual. The pistons in the newer motor are just shy of 80 grams a piece lighter. The two may perform the same on a dyno, but we don't race dynos.

I never stated the lighter internals were a rumor. The gain in HP because of the lighter internals was what I was referring to.

Unless you run on an inertia engine dyno I doubt you ever will. The days of the water wheel dyno have been numbered for quite some time. They are decent for engine loading and break in and initial HP numbers but for critical testing the inertia dyno will be the piece for the future.

Expect some new parts and pieces to come out that might not make a difference on a water brake but they will make some big gains in acceleration testing and on the track. F-1 has been on them for about 10 years, There are a couple of them in CUP and a couple others in R&D places.

I know a couple folks on here and Speed that run stuff regularly and they say it is like night and day. I would agree as I have been running both of mine for the last 10 years.

One thing you might be missing out on...how long does it take your car to accelerate from 40-100mph when compared to other cars that have run on the same chassis dyno. When you can get your 602 competitive to 604's that will be when you have accomplished something.

Thrust is really the only thing that matters in any kind of motorsports and once folks get their brain around that you will start to see some way big gains.
    Last edited by dynoman14; 08-29-2012 at 09:00 PM.

I've ran both and the New 602 smokes the old one hands down! I consider it a 603

R22,
    What heads on your engine?

What block casting?

Hi dear am newbie here and i want to say that today i read this topic it's really nice and informative actually i was need some similar posts but i get your post fist search on Google it's really nice and informative.

Quote Originally Posted by dynoman14 View Post
    R22,
    What heads on your engine?

What block casting?
    Dont know and didn't care...I had two new style crate engines...the first I blueprinted and it got claimed but the 2nd one I bought ran just as good and still were leaps above the old style 602...City Chevy sells em

im looking at buying a new 602 and ive been wondering the pros and cons on blue printing if its worth the money. whats the little gains u can make with these motors? what carb? spacers? gas? oil? im buying all new so i would like some ideas

Quote Originally Posted by bluemod View Post
    im looking at buying a new 602 and ive been wondering the pros and cons on blue printing if its worth the money. whats the little gains u can make with these motors? what carb? spacers? gas? oil? im buying all new so i would like some ideas
    If I had it all over to do again I would buy straight from GM and find someone to dyno the engine with someone who is familar with what combinations to try. The dyno will exceed any blueprint gain you could ever imagine. Dont waste your money on the blueprint