Question ASA, Ken-Ten Rules Concerning MSD Distributors and Crane Ignition Boxes - Crate 604

Alright y'all - here's another stoopid question I have concerning crate engine rules and what works, what don't, and what is allowed....

I'm trying to figure out what IS and IS NOT allowed by the ASA concerning distributors and ignition boxes. The reason I'm citing ASA rules is that the two local (paved) tracks here in Tennessee, as well as the Ken-Ten series, refer you to the ASA rules concerning the subject. Fairgrounds Speedway Nashville, Ken-Ten, and Highland Rim rules say basically: "All Chevy crate engines may run MSD distributor and Crane ignition unit same as ASA." Our rules at Nashville also state all crate cars will use a 6400RPM rev-limiter chip, and all built engines will use a 6900RPM chip. When you look at the ASA rules (and I am assuming the tracks here and Ken-Ten are referring to the Midwest Tour rules), they say, quote:

"All ignition systems must be 12 volts. Only one 12 volt battery maybe used at any time. Ignition boxes may be switched by ASA Midwest Tour from car to car or swapped with tour’s house ignition boxes. Wiring will follow in this rule.
    Approved Ignition boxes. (call for others that maybe used)

Crane
    Crane Cams Ignition Hi-6r p/n 6000-6400, or Hi-6rc p/n 6000-6700, or Hi-6 p/n
    6000-6440
    MSD
    MSD6A, MSD 6T, MSD6AL, MSD 6ALN, MSD6

*CRANE IGNITIONS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!* ".

The rules don't specifically say what distributor can be used. I also have seen references to "swapping out MSD boxes" in some of the different rules. I'm ready to start buying ignition / carb parts, but I am completely confused as to what is okay and what's not. Any help or advice?

First off seems like the rules are kinda confusing but for the most part the best box you have a choice of is a Crane Digital Box. If you have a 6200rpm rule for crates you probably need to have your box dyno'd to make sure it is hitting 6200 and not 6050 like most boxes do...

I run them on the chassis dyno a couple times a week with my 604 crate mule. A good box and accurate rev limiter is worth 20-30RWHP...

As far as Carb you did not mention the rule but if it is ASA, you have to run the Holley 650HP, and there is +/- 30rwhp between a good one and a real good one.

If you get both ignition and carb matched to the fuel you are burning and the acceleration rate of he engine with that fuel burning that is worth another 15-20RWHP...

I have always said there is about 100rwhp to find in any dirt or pavement car crate or other. After 10 years of working with crates and 600+ cars, I stand by that and think it is more like 100-125HP.

Hell there is 6RWHP in 1# of air pressure, just imagine how much RWHP there is in 4-6" of stagger drag????

Talking

Dynoman, where the hell is your shop at? I wanna come work for you for a while and absorb some of your knowledge.....