Default NOVA IMCA Stock Car ??

Am looking for a few contacts that have experience in the Nova combo for the IMCA Stock Car Class. I have a competitive Metric and want to build a Nova to try out. I've ran Pro Stock Camaros and have a good understanding on leafs. I am more interested in the building aspects and how far you can go. Other than the word stock, the rules are vague.
    Thanks for any help.

Thanks Jeff. That 2650 is a good target number. I'm not sure how far you can cut into the area under the package tray. After attending Shaw's school and trying it on my Super and the Metric, I need all the room in that area to mount lead. I'm a believer in minimizing swing weight.

So Jeff; I was waiting for your opinion on the leaf springs. I was laughing the whole time I was starting the thread thinking " Jeff is going to thing I'm nuts". LOL You are going easy on me. I get board easy and I have a small interest in a Nova the we loan out to others to build interest in the class. I drove it and knowing what it has and its potential, I think it could be competitive. At Hanford, we have only 8 cars , one being a ford , one the loaner Nova and the rest Metrics. Novas are the choice in the other classes close to the Stock Cars. Maybe if they saw a Nova running some would make the move.
    I mounted the brackets that I bought from you for the Metric rear. Install went well and they work great.
    Thanks for the help.

LLLLLLLLLLLoL!!

Dave, I had the same idea as you with the nova, because I was used to a Camaro, but after really looking at the nova, I thought you would need to basicly build a rear frame, and dont know what imca would say about that since thats where the springs mount. Anyway, and I hate to admit this, but afterlistening to Jeff, built a metric, and am glad I did. My engine package is down 40 hp to what I was running with my Camaro, and my lap times are the same. With a little more tweaking, it should be awesome fast. anyway good luck.

Curt Drake
    Stock Car # 55x

Nice AMC , already gutted. Good luck finding replacement body panels.

That rear clip is a issue. We cut open the unibody frame top, lay tubing in it and cover it up. It works great until a good hit and then its a pain to fix. I assume IMCA would frown on starting with a 2x3 on the new build.

I cant get a feel on how many Novas are running back east. Are there any fast Novas that run at the Boone race?

hers a pure stock nova out running a hole field of cheated up metrics....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZTe5f2_7a8

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    Why would you post that?

It appears to be a powder puff race or mechanics race. A metric and nova raced for the lead with the nova only leading the last lap. More than half the field are camaro or novas and clearly the slowest cars on the track were camaros...

12 cars with only two competetive speed wise isnt much of a race.

BESIDES all that, this thread is asking about IMCA stock cars.
    because somebody said that theres no fast novas! powder puff,not! the black monty carlo is as tricked out as a pure stock can be! the ol nova set up good but basicy stock,..an doubt your metric could pass ether!

all hale stock car driver,....the know all of all time!! all hale stock car driver,.....wont even any race cars till he invented them...

I guess that's what makes a horse race...... different opinions.

Our best track dose not look that good. I'm not crazy about that inside wall, but the racing surface looks great.

A California buddy moved to Okihoma and runs a nova at 3 different tracks. More of a Hobby stock with a big motor and dose well against Metrics. He has won a few, and alot of seconds and thirds. There is only a couple of Novas at the tracks and dont do very good. The cars weigh in at 3200 and 3300 and I am wondering given the gutting rules if the Nova would get enough rear percent. My metric has good rear percent and all the lead is over the rear end at 2950. Not sure if the Nova can get it?

Do you just run the stock upper control arm or can you modify it or run a tube arm for a better location to mount the shock?

No AMC's have a "frame" but Pacers do have a chevy type subframe and use a rack instead of the conventional steering box...

you will have a tough time getting rear percentage out of the nova, and a hard time getting forward drive, if you run on a hammer down race track that is smooth the nova would be fine. Once the surface goes black slick or dry slick, they will eat your lunch. Dont know allot about the imca rules since they are none in GA, but i have won allot of races with a nova, against much better cars....under the right circumstances they can dominate, under most circumstances they can be dominated. If it was me I would stick with the metric unless the weight rules are around 3300+.

If you ask IMCA anything the answer will always be no.
    Jeff, that's the sentence that worries me the most.

I learned a lot about leaf springs when I was floating the RR. I think some of that can be applied to this class rules. The rear % is a big deal for the leaf.
    Our one and only IMCA track within 350 miles is generally on the fast side and the promoter takes extra effort to keep it smooth. It can get some dry spots and a hole, but there is enough room to work around them. Its the most popular track for the sprints. 3/8 mile, mild banking, good momentum. I think the leaf will like it.

Congrats to everyone. What a show on the pay for view! Looks like a lot of fun no matter where you finish.

Any idea how many Fords??

Hi dear am newbie here and i want to ask a question which is that I am currently living in the UK with a UK drivers license and plan on returning to Canada (Halifax, Nova Scotia) and want to rent a car so I can drive around while I am there. Only problem is that I am 21 and so far as I am aware you have to be 25 or over to rent a car. Will it be possible for me to rent a car given my age?give me good suggestion which be great..