Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What Would Cause a Car to do This?

I have a 2005 GRT and the last 2 weeks it has started to pick the LF way up of the ground when I pick up the throttle...especially on the high side. It was picking the LF up the first night out and I was told by another driver to set my LR chain to not exceed 45%...problem solved. Have not changed the setup...what could be some possibilities to look for? Could a shock or spring have gone bad?

Here is my setup

Info for 2007 and previous year models:
    RIDE HEIGHTS��(CHASSIS #2938 and before, Standard Front End, Black Spindles)
    LF: 3�� Top of Lower Control Arm & Bottom of Frame (2.5�� on cars with gray spindles)
    RF: 3" Top of Lower Control Arm & Bottom of Frame (2.75�� on cars with gray spindles)
    LR: Will be set with the amount of bite
    RR: 4.25�� Top of lower under slung & Bottom of Axle Tubes

STANDARD SPRINGS
    LF: 550 RF: 350
    LR Behind: 250 RR: 225

SHOCKS (MY #'s) SLICK TRACKS
    LF: 75 RF: 75 LF: 5-3 RF: 3-5
    LR: 7-2 STD RR: 94 LR: 7-2 RR: 3-4
    Oil double adjustable afcos

BITE
    130 LBS LEFT SIDE 54.7% REAR 55.4% (MY %'s)

TORQUE ARM
    73-6 Shock with 325 pound spring and 75# gas
    Approximately 3�� travel on 36�� center to center(Don't know the travel and mine is 32 c/c)

REAR END LEAD
    Right rear back 1/4�� to 3/8��(Mine is straight up)

FRONT END ALIGNMENT:
    CASTER: CAMBER:
    LF: 1.5+ LF: 2.5+
    RF: 3+ RF: 3.5-
    Toe: 1/4 to 1/2 out

NEW STYLE PANHARD BAR BRACKET
    �� Bottom of Frame to Bottom of Bracket (8 3/8��)
    �� 3rd Notch up on chassis, 2nd notch up on pinion
    �� Panhard bar: 19 1/4�� center to center

4-BARS (STANDARD)
    Left Lower: 3rd Hole up (6 to 7 Degrees)
    Left Upper: 7th Hole up (23 to 25 Degrees)
    Right Lower: 4th Hole up (Level)
    Right Upper: 5th Hole up (18 to 20 Degrees)

LR chain set to max at 44 Degrees to keep lf down

This is as close to GRT setup as I can get with what I have to work with as far as shocks.
    Car weights 2450# and must run on LM40 Hoosiers and has steel block 550-600hp

~Thanks~
    Last edited by RACR_73s; 09-02-2012 at 10:33 PM.

If nothing is bent or in a bind, I'm guessing your RR shock has gone soft.

What could be bent or in a bind that would cause it? ~Thanks~

Check lr birdcage for a bind..or coilover

Checked the RR shock today and it seems good. Just ran out and checked both birdcages and they rotate nicely. Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming.

Cool

If you are 100% SURE there is no binds of any kind and the shock is good. Go up 25lbs on the RR spring but I am with Matt I think the shock is suspect.

I'm with them. Either your RR shock is giving up as it heats up, or another alternative is that your LF shock is binding and not allowing the LF tire to keep in contact with the ground. I had this happen once. I thought I was carrying the LF more, but in reality the car was rolling over the same, but the LF shock had gotten dented and wouldn't extend to allow the tire to stay in contact with the ground. Just a couple of ideas. Good-luck.
    "If you think the last four words in the National Anthem are "Gentlemen, start your engines!", You might be a redneck."

2 things i can think of if everything is free of binds,1st check the angle of your fifth coil and the bottom left bar is up hill alot from your post,just read it again do you have a chain limiter on the lr,the post says rr??you really need a chain on both sides even if it is an under rail car,that is on your bars angle part of the post
    Last edited by grt74; 09-02-2012 at 03:21 PM.

could have losed rebound in LR shock or SHOCKS !! JMO

Quote Originally Posted by grt74 View Post
    2 things i can think of if everything is free of binds,1st check the angle of your fifth coil and the bottom left bar is up hill alot from your post,just read it again do you have a chain limiter on the lr,the post says rr??you really need a chain on both sides even if it is an under rail car,that is on your bars angle part of the post
    Thanks for pointing that out, it was in the wrong place...I corrected it. My 5th coill is straight up and down like it has been from day one... will check tomorrow to see if it is loose. I do not have a chain on the RR and it is an underail floating X. 6 degrees is alot of angle for bottom left bar? I drop it one for the feature and it was still pulling LF...makes it hard to see car underneath while running the top. ~Thanks~

Lay your shock out in the sun for several hours. Then check it. Had a friend had a "good" shock when it was cold but had it laying in the sun and it was bad when it got heat in it.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdiggerracing View Post
    could have losed rebound in LR shock or SHOCKS !! JMO
    Checked all shocks today and replaced the RR just because maybe it might be the problem even though it seems good. The right front seemed to have a soft spot on compression the first couple times I cycled it but I could not get it to repeat...so I changed it also...will try it again tomorrow and see if it does it again. LR shock seemed fine as well as the LF so I did not change them.

If I put more rebound in the LR and more compresion in RF and RR would that help? (I have an old set of the oil double adjustable AFCO's)

What is the correct way to check the car for a bind? ~Thanks~

Did your chain stretch?
    Is there more grip in the track?

ask dirtmod17x he knows it all

check your LR bite. You might have to much. Check all your wheel weights. I had same problem and found my wheel weights were off. to much LR and lost LF weight.

Quote Originally Posted by jedclampit View Post
    Did your chain stretch?
    Is there more grip in the track?
    I am unable to check the chain right now (car is on jackstands waiting for a lower contol arm) but I will check it. There was a little more grip this week but I was able to keep it down on tackier tracks before. Thanks for the chain idea I never thought of it stretching. Do you have to replace them often or just keep shortening it? ~Thanks~

Quote Originally Posted by fletch lives View Post
    check your LR bite. You might have to much. Check all your wheel weights. I had same problem and found my wheel weights were off. to much LR and lost LF weight.
    I did not realize that LR bite would cause this. I have been going up small amounts on LR to fix my handeling problems and this was the one that was supposed to fix all (losen entry/tighten middle-exit). It was not losening entry early in the night enough so I moved the RRU bar down 1 hole last week and went up alittle more on LR and it was much better in. From the begining of the year til now I have gone up 20# of LR and the LF-RF split has gone from around 85# to 60#. I think I can go back to about 125# LR now with the RRU bar move to fix entry, but what is the best way to fix what I will give up on middle and exit? The way I see it on the GRT adjustment guide would be to raise the LRU bar. Also would moving the 5th coil towards the front of the car help keep the LF down? Mine is at 32" and GRT recomends 36" (1/4 mile with what I would call a medium banking) Thanks for the input.

What does everybody think about this idea?

Everybody on here has good points. But it cant hurt to just throw it on scales and double check your weights. especially since you said you kept putting more LR in it to free up entry. Something might have loosened up and coilover might have backed off or something somewhere else. You can flatten J-bar a little to free entry or even soften up LF spring a little to free entry instead of keep jacking LR into it

Quote Originally Posted by fletch lives View Post
    Everybody on here has good points. But it cant hurt to just throw it on scales and double check your weights. especially since you said you kept putting more LR in it to free up entry. Something might have loosened up and coilover might have backed off or something somewhere else. You can flatten J-bar a little to free entry or even soften up LF spring a little to free entry instead of keep jacking LR into it
    Good point but I always scale the car every week just to make sure nothing like that has happenned. The numbers I stated came from my weekly setup sheets. ~Thanks~