Thread: exhaust wrap

Default exhaust wrap

Running a crate motor and looking to decrease under hood temps. Is using a wrap for the headers worth the money? reason I ask is because of our body the air cleaner doesn't make it out of the hood so its not drawing as much clean air as I'd like it to.

I have looked around and its going to cost about $100 to do both sides with a coating for the wrap after its on.

Quote Originally Posted by rubbinsracin View Post
    Running a crate motor and looking to decrease under hood temps. Is using a wrap for the headers worth the money? reason I ask is because of our body the air cleaner doesn't make it out of the hood so its not drawing as much clean air as I'd like it to.

I have looked around and its going to cost about $100 to do both sides with a coating for the wrap after its on.
    Get it thru the hood PERIOD! You are giving up a BUNCH of power even running 200 degree air temp. You are loosing about 1% HP every 10 degrees of air temp if I remember correctly. SO if you are at 100 degrees out side you are loosing about 40HP that you are just throwing away.

Ego, we have a hole in the hood, but its not high enough to get out of the top of the hood. We already have the motor as high as it can go, we have a 2" carb spacer, 4" air filter, and an extension on the bottom of the air cleaner housing.

I have seen some of the super guys that come to the track have like a shield built under the carb that appears to keep under hood air away from the carb. Anyone have pictures or a how to on buildig something like it.

Exhaust wrap is a great idea, I wouldn't crate race without it, I seen a 5 degree underhood temp reduction with it

What your looking for is an air pan Allstar sells them around $75 i think

Cool

Wrap the headers and do the airbox ! BRC (lazer chassis) also has a nice one out of fiber glass. REM plastics also has one. PM me if you can't find one I think I have one or two. We built a custom one this year.